The Sewing Place

The Sewing Place’s year-long stash-busting challenge - 01-01-2021 to 31-12-2021

Ann

I had a few days of exhaustion, a good cry, and am feeling better. That set me back on my sewing a few days. But I did get another project done for my Christmas sewing section. I made this little fabric basket which is 6" square. It is mine and I will find something to put in it (artificial plant as we have a cat) and display it next year.

I start again on the purse tomorrow. Not happy with it but I will finish it and use it. It is the outer fabric that I am not pleased with as it has too much polyester in it. I do want to make it again in a cotton.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

b15erk

@Ann  :hug:  Hope you feel a little better now - these are tough times.

I love your fabric basket, and I love the idea of sewing Christmas things early, it takes the pressure off. It would save last minute panics for me as I know I'll have at least 4 Christmas stockings to make next year, and they take a long time to make.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

Another top made from the stash.  Like the Orange ruffles, it is a first garment/toile , and I'm now looking for suitable fabric to make the garments 'proper'.  Nothing much is turning up in the stash, but I'm sure something will turn up.

Jessie

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ann

@b15erk, I a feeling much better. It has been hard even if we are one of the safest places in the world to live. Everyone spends so much time doing the right thing to keep everyone safe. As of yesterday we only have 15 known cases in the province (1M people) and only 1 new case in the last 3 days.  It's thanks to everyone following the rules. But, it is exhausting to keep it up day in and day out. I know I'm not the only one who is feeling this way.

Thank you the nice words on the basket. The next one is perking in my mind. I need to get a big jar (for cookie mix), cookie cutter, a wooden spoon and a couple of tea towels so I can see what size I need to make next. Thinking of ideas keeps me busy and out of trouble. I know I will have to buy the outer fabric for it but it is a gift so I don't mind. I'm thinking of some type of unique fabric. I do have the lining fabric and it will be perfect for this basket.

OHHHHH!!! I just saw your top and I like the toile fabric. It is really nice. Here's hoping you find something in the stash to make the proper garment. Looking forward to seeing what you make.
Stash Busting 2023

Helen M

Following on from my attempt to sort some fabric out on Saturday I came across a UFO and you won't believe how long it's been there, only since 1982 (could be a couple of years earlier) :|............ It's a Butterick shirt style blouse already cut out in a cream poly with a design woven through it, pattern is a single size 8 so I'm hoping it could still fit. I'd go for a 6 these days but it's a slim fitting style. I think I may have a go at finishing it sometime this year.

I also found a finished tapestry that was supposed to become a cushion cover. I have the backing fabric and piping cord all ready to do it. The also dates back to the late 80s, but was worked in the early 90s. Design was from Woman's Weekly magazine. I'll have a go with that too hopefully.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Catllar

@Ann,that little green doll is gorgeous. What nimble fingers you must have!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

BriarRose

This weekend I finished 25 quilt blocks, plus a back support pillow, plus two blocks that will be use to decorate a tote bag. Counting the muslin base, that accounts for about four yards of assorted fabrics. I'll sew the blocks together today and maybe get the binding on. I decided not to put a backing on the quilt since it will hang on the wall behind my desk chair to act as a background during Zoom conferences and programs.

Next on the stash-busting agenda: all that flannel I bought a couple of years ago to make jammie pants for everyone in the family.
It's just fabric. We can out-think it.

Ann

I finished all my projects I wanted to make in January. I need buttons for a messy bun hat and the purse. There is a possibility I will get those on Monday.

My little review for January:
  • I completed all the projects I wanted to complete.
  • All but one piece of fabric and one piece of fusible fleece came from the stash.
  • I used my embroidery component of my machine twice this month.
  • I sewed 7.5 meters of which 1.0 meters was purchased. Six meters from the stash.

Now to conquer most of February's list.

Stash Busting 2023

b15erk

I'm very happy to say that most of the fabric for my next project has come from my stash. 

I think another twelve months of stash busting may reduce it to manageble proportions.  :dance:

Jessie

Ann

@b15erk, I'd like to sew up 80 meters again this year with minimal purchases just to see what I have left in the stash. I am not overly worried about supporting the shop I buy at as they have done well during the pandemic. The lady made money with creative ideas she put in place.

I will be able to shop in the spring when DD wants more fabric but I want to refrain from buying fabric. I will need other supplies though such as interfacing, fusible fleece, lace, thread, needles.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

After finishing the test pattern and doing more piping for DD, I took 2 days off due to tiredness and being out for DGS's birthday dinner. Today I decided to make a Christmas shopping bag. @MitchOfTheNorth, put the idea into my head. I used 1 meter of fabric and .5 meter of Deco Bond interfacing. I had bought the fabric 4 years ago when it was deeply discounted and really had no plan on what to make out of it. I took it out a couple of times looking at it when the comment was made and I am totally in love with it.

I also sent DD a parcel and in it I put 3.6 meters of fabric from the stash. It is such a nice feeling to have it gone and to be used up by her. She will make shirts to sell out of the pieces. Not sure what I will make tomorrow. I need to think about it tonight while knitting.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 21:47:14 PM by Ann »
Stash Busting 2023

MitchOfTheNorth

Ann, the cardinals look great.
  • Ann likes this
Stashbusting 2022
Goal:  50 meters
Total:  32.5 meters

Lachica

That's a lovely bag @Ann . Very festive.
  • Ann likes this
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Morzel

Another meter used for something useful and nice!  :thumbsup:
  • Ann likes this
Eva

Ann

Last day of the month so I'm reporting. This month 9.35 meters of fabric is gone from the stash (used or given away). Only 1 meter was purchased in February. There is 17.1 meters gone and 2.5 meters bought to date. Not too bad.

We are back not being able to go into a large shopping area as the cases of the virus have risen quickly there. The quilt shop I go to not far from here hasn't closed yet. I'm surprised as she usually closes when the large shopping area becomes restricted. I can get notions from the quilt shop which is convenient. The restrictions have us staying home which means I may or may not buy a bit of fabric this coming month. 
Stash Busting 2023