The Sewing Place

The Sewing Place’s year-long stash-busting challenge - 01-01-2021 to 31-12-2021

elisep

Not much stash busting so far for me I’m afraid, as I had to make a quilt for my friend whose baby arrived at the end of Feb.
But this week with some of my mojo feeling like it’s coming back, I decided to make a quick stash buster and make up 2 pair of flanelette pyjama pants.

Nothing ground breaking or award winning, just 2 comfy and warm pair of pj pants! I like to make a mock cuff around the bottom which allows me to squeeze them out of 2 metres of fabric, and also use both elastic and a draw string cord in the waist.

4 metres down!
Stash Busting 2023
Used: 4 metres

MitchOfTheNorth

I'm packing up some fabrics to give to a friend and her teen daughter.  The fabrics that they don't want will be donated to the local high school.  This will make room for the new fabrics that I bought. 
Stashbusting 2022
Goal:  50 meters
Total:  32.5 meters

MitchOfTheNorth

So, there are now 3 large garbage bags full of fabric for my friend.  I was fairly ruthless and measured as I put it in the bag - there was a total of 77.5 meters  :faints:.  Most of it was fabric that I was gifted by my mom when she cleared out her fabrics at least 8 years ago.  There are a few pieces that I'm giving to sister#3 for her new granddaughter.  I still need to measure those up.
Stashbusting 2022

MitchOfTheNorth

So, I went back through and pulled out another 9 meters for my friend - so a total of 86.5.  And 4.5 meters for sister#3.
Stashbusting 2022

Ann

@MitchOfTheNorth, what a great haul for your friend and sister. I'm sure it will be greatly appreciated.

I put 30 meters into the thrift shop boxes when I cleaned the sewing room. I also put some into a tub for DD which I will be mailing to her mid April.

Though March isn't over, I've been sewing some every day. When I finish my present project, I will have sewn 7 meters this month. I've also worked done some samples on the doll's couture course and finished up a project that I embroidered in February. The total without the donation is 21.3 meters sewn of which I am happy about. I did buy 2 meters of fabric for my new knitting bag and 3.8 meters of interfacing. One meter of fabric and 1.8 meters of interfacing was used in the knitting bag.

I have started April's list of items to sew and I'm going to be doing a quite a bit of practicing on my new machine that is enroute to me. Most of the sewing in April will be on the new machine while I learn how to use it. 
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

MitchOfTheNorth

I continued with the ruthless de-stash - up to 112.5 meters. 
Stashbusting 2022

Ann

@MitchOfTheNorth, you have been ruthless in your fabric purging. Way to go.

I made another grocery bag which DD says she is going to use as a lunch bag. The fabric was bought a couple of years ago when I saw it in the store. I cross hatched it to batting as I experimented with my new Juki sewing machine. It took me 4 afternoons of sewing to get this bag done. But, I learned a lot about the sewing machine while making it.

Overall, I am pleased with the results and 1.7 meters of fabric and batting are off the stash shelving unit.
Stash Busting 2023

whofilets

All my stash is so old and unorganized it's hard for me to remember how much pieces are in yardage/meterage, but I think my stashdown goal is going to be by weight- I'd like to give away/use up/maybe sell at least 10 pounds of fabric. Stretch goal- 20 lbs!
A blanket of flannel and minky would make this easy, but I also have lots of 1 yd cuts of things like poly charmeusel for a challenge.

Someday I'm gonna use up 'my weight in stash' and then I'll throw myself a little party  :cake:
US to UK, brought all the fabric and yarn with me

realale

Late to the party but I'm willing to join in!
So far this year I have made two mens waistcoats, a bag, a taggy and half a shirt using everything from stash. I'm trying to do more sewing now after a year of inertia where I couldn't get motivated.
I also am trying to use my scraps and have been watching you tube videos on crumb quilting although I'm more likely to make a bag than a full size quilt!  :laughing:
Sew at a quick guess I've probably used 6m tops. Hmmm, better get a shift on. :rolleyes:
So many beers, so little time.

Ann

We are nearing the end of April and this month I have sewn 5.1 meters of fabric. Most of the sewing has been small items - masks, doll clothes, potholders. All the fabric came from the stash.

We are starting day 2 of a full lockdown and I bought 4 meters of fabric before it happened. I needed some fabric for the 2 weeks we are to be at home in our bubble as the store shut its doors to instore shopping on Tuesday.  I'm set for quite a long time; maybe until June.
Stash Busting 2023

realale

I've just cut out another Gardener shirt blouse which used up 1.5m of fabric which has been marinating for 7 or 8 years, plus all the fabric I've been using in my coaster experiments and the cushion cover I made so I'm going to say I've used 2m of fabric and can therefore claim 8m now!!
This challenge is just the impetus I needed to get me going.

So many beers, so little time.

MitchOfTheNorth

I've come to the conclusion that I need to sew faster - maybe I don't have a fabric problem - maybe it's a productivity problem.
Stashbusting 2022

Ann

I'm working on a shirt for DH and hope to have it done by the end of the month. That will mean 5.75 meters of fabric sewn in June and all from the stash. Not as much as I had hoped for but it's better than nothing. I've bought no fabric this month either which is a bonus.

@MitchOfTheNorth, I think I have a productivity problem also as I'm outside a lot right now.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

I forgot to report that I sewed 5.75 meters of fabric in June. I also bought .5 meter of fabric for a doll's wardrobe.

This month I've slowed down as I'm outside more so my amount of fabric used up will be less than 5 meters. It may be less than 3 meters. If I get a doll's quilt finished before the end of the month, I will have to buy fabric for my next 2 projects. I have the feature fabric but need to get the coordinating fabrics for them.
Stash Busting 2023

MitchOfTheNorth

I finally gave my sister the fabric that I picked out for her to sew for her granddaughter.  I made a sweatshirt for myself.  It's warm and cozy.  I need to pick out another lighter weight fabric to test out the pattern.  I think the first fabric was a bit too heavy because it doesn't hang quite right.  But I'm still going to wear it - it's perfect for cuddling up on the couch.
Stashbusting 2022