The Sewing Place

Scuba

Silver Rose

Scuba
« on: January 01, 2021, 10:46:22 AM »
I keep looking at scuba fabric, I have never sewn with it. What is it used to make? It is listed with Ponte and double jersey so I assume tops, fitted dresses would be what you would make. What about trousers? Your comments please. Thanks.
Still learning

BrendaP

Re: Scuba
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 11:06:41 AM »
Scuba fabric only has minimal stretch compared to double jersey, so trousers yes, leggings no.

Could also be used for A-line skirt, non fussy style dress or unstructured jacket.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Silver Rose

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 11:14:57 AM »
Thanks Brenda, I have read that it is 'spongy' to feel. Is it thick? I am loathe to order some and be disappointed.
Still learning

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 11:43:12 AM »
The only scuba I have sewn with was a delight to sew, but the fabric itself I disliked intensely.  I'm sure it varies, but mine was very polyester-y (I don't know what it was made of, but the site that said they could barely believe it wasn't cotton was lying through its teeth!)

I very rarely sew with non-natural fibres though, so I am biased!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2021, 13:38:40 PM »
Along with other samples I recently had a scuba piece. I thought it felt horrible.  Supposed to be very sweaty to wear.  But then I hate polyester.  Like @Acorn I'm more a natural fibre person.

Silver Rose

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 14:02:16 PM »
Yes @Acorn and @Ohsewsimple I prefer  natural fibres and I have seen scuba described as unbreathable which does put me off. I don't mind a small percentage of polyester in cotton and like most jerseys. This is probably not for me. Thanks folks for your input.
Still learning