The Sewing Place

January's BOM from Pearl

Iminei

January's BOM from Pearl
« on: January 01, 2021, 10:47:30 AM »
Im going to ease you in gently to this years run of BOM's ...

This one comes from our wonderful @Pearl

JANUARY

Enjoy!!!

Please note that the info for the second photo should read
For the plus (+) portion of the block
one rectangle 7 1/4" by 2 3/4" and
two 2 3/4" squares

If you would like to contribute a block to this years BOM, please pm me!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 15:05:35 PM by Pearl »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Kenora

Re: January's BOM from Pearl
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 11:28:16 AM »
Thanks @Pearl - I only had a quick peek but it looks good. :)

Will there be more? I didn't think we were getting BOM's this year. :D
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

bec

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 13:46:50 PM »
Thanks for this @Pearl - I had a lovely time putting it together, even though as you will see, I came somewhat a cropper  :laughing:

No one can say it doesn't exist in the world and finish at 12.5" though.

Flobear

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 14:46:22 PM »
Gosh, you're quick off the mark @bec  Well done  :thumbsup:
  • bec likes this
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

SingingSinger

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2021, 15:51:16 PM »
No time like the present to start off one on my NY resolutions. I'm going to have a go at this one :)
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 16:49:54 PM »
@Kenora  @anyoneelseinterested

Im hoping we will have a full year of Guest BOMs but thats really up to the Darksiders to create tuts of their favourite blocks ... Please PM me if you do want to and we'll sort out a month for you.

You can also treat the 6 weekly Mystery Quilt (starting January 30th) as a BOM,  tho' they are all star based!!!

SingingSinger

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2021, 17:23:59 PM »
@Pearl Please Miss, I have a question  :)

I've got to the part where I pair up the two 2 1/2" squares of the plus (+) fabric with two squares of contrasting fabric but the contrasting fabric is 2 3/4" square so I'm stuck. Have I missed something? Thank you  :D
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

Pearl

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2021, 17:47:59 PM »
Well done, @SingingSinger , you found the deliberate mistake. :facepalm:

The squares of plus fabric need to be 2.75"

Can we change this, @Iminei ?

On the second pic 
For the plus (+) portion of the block
one rectangle 7 1/4" by 2 3/4" and
two 2 3/4" squares

SingingSinger

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2021, 17:54:31 PM »
Ahah! Thanks, that makes sense  :D

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2021, 08:06:32 AM »
@Pearl  ... as far as I know Only the author of the google pics can change the text  ... so just go to the relevant page and change it?!

Ok?

SingingSinger

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2021, 12:36:08 PM »
I've made the block but I've not got it quite right. I think my 1/4 seam is not quite accurate as I don't have a 1/4 foot on my new Pfaff. I'm going to have another go with my Brother machine which does have a 1/4 foot and hopefully it will look a bit better  :D

SingingSinger

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2021, 17:34:10 PM »
I've remade the block using my Brother machine with the 1/4 in foot and it looks much better. It's come out a bit small but I guess unpicking it and resewing lost a few threads. I'm slightly embarassed by the colour choices but it is meant to be a practice and learning piece :)   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 17:39:04 PM by SingingSinger »

Pearl

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2021, 17:36:54 PM »
 :loveit: :loveit: :loveit:

@bec ‘s is so lovely and subtle and @SingingSinger ‘s is so bright and beautiful.  Love them. 

<feeling proud>
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 17:39:03 PM by Pearl »

RJR_38

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2021, 21:29:54 PM »
@Iminei   - if we did a tutorial does it have to be through google photos and text in this way? Could I just create it all on a PDF document and share the link to the document that is hosted on my google drive? I would just find that so much easier to create I think rather than learn how to use google photos...

Iminei

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2021, 09:25:53 AM »
As long as all the pics, measurements and step by step destructions are there @RJR_38 , I cant see why not!

Obviously pm me with the file and I will put it up when its needed.