The Sewing Place

February's BOM from Deafoldbat

Lowena

Re: February's BOM from Deafoldbat
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2021, 15:00:47 PM »
In answer to your question @Iminei  I get the instructions and measurements up on my Kindle and copy them longhand onto paper. I then work from my paper copy as I find it easier.
I'm about to do it with the ruby block so I hope it's not too longwinded and complicated  :P
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Lilian

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2021, 15:21:26 PM »
I am hoping to join this when I have finished earlier projects.  Now I have my sewing mojo back  :dance:

I like @Deafoldbat quilt block and especially the Y seams, I have never done those before.  Looking forward to the challenge.

Sorry @Lowena if I put my foot in it  :hug:
Willing but not always able :)

Iminei

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2021, 15:25:31 PM »
Sorry @Lowena if I put my foot in it

Dont worry Lilian, just shows how bad my eyesight is!!!  :laughing:

The point of BOM's, I believe, are to introduce new techniques and to stretch the participants ...

Thats why i did Zeldas Advent Advent, and Edita Sitar's Lockdown Challenge in March. Im currently looking at the Mystery Quilts 3rd block which has certainly stretched me ...
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 16:05:07 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lilian

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2021, 15:41:51 PM »
I do have a sharp eye for detail, it was needed in my working life.  I try not to notice some things but am a stickler for detail and so self-critical too
Willing but not always able :)

Lowena

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2021, 15:43:46 PM »
No problem @Lilian  :hug: :D
It was my fault for thinking the blocks were meant to be an enjoyable pastime rather than a tortuous exercise in bettering  ourselves I'm already stretched to my limits :D
Still, at least it's cheaper than an OU course  :D
As I made two of Pearls blocks I might do a second one in a different colourway. :thinking:
Off to look at the ruby block.....5 of them I think are needed  :faints:
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 16:04:03 PM by Iminei »
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Sandra

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2021, 16:08:24 PM »
It's like being 10 years old again. 1977. The Silver Jubilee year and I was just about to leave junior school. Everything everywhere was red, white and blue and a lot of crepe paper was used.  0_0

It's been ironed to death with a damp pressing cloth to try to get it as flat as possible.  :S I'm surprised I've managed to get it looking as flat as this. It's a good job you won't get to see it in real life to see just how squiffy it is.

I've never done a block like this before. Y-seams...not sure I like them but I'm happy to have tried them.

Sandra.
xxx

Catllar

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2021, 17:19:16 PM »
Here's mine, haven't done these for ages but quite enjoyed it! Now this has come out to size - so hooray. I reckon I must have cut just a smidge bigger.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]   All those smidges add up. Had a couple of runs at getting the centre point right. Still not perfect but a lot better than first time round!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

LouiseS

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2021, 11:08:05 AM »
My first time doing Y seams but marking the points definitely helped and I surprised myself by not having to unpick the centre. Not sure I would have enough patience to do an entire quilt with this block!  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Iminei

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2021, 11:34:36 AM »
That is beautiful @LouiseS  ... Bravo! and now if Y seams are required they will hold no fear for you!

Are there any peeps out there who want to showcase their favourite block with a Tut for this  thread ??????

LouiseS

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2021, 08:36:58 AM »
I don’t have a favourite block but I’ve just sketched something on my notepad that I would like to try. I will need to draw it up and practice and report back next month but maybe it will be suitable for a later month?

Iminei

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2021, 08:37:46 AM »
Wonderful Louise, Have fun and Thank you

fajita

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2021, 16:50:20 PM »
Ask no questions, look no closer. It’s done. Moving on.

Iminei

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2021, 18:41:24 PM »
Its lovely @fajita ... and another string to your bow!