The Sewing Place

Miniature quilts

Celia

Miniature quilts
« on: January 01, 2021, 10:54:27 AM »
I have always been interested in small items, I have made miniature bears and also some miniature beaded items, at the moment this is just an passing thought.
Does anyone have any experience  making miniature quilts, are they always hand sewn or can you make them on a machine? Do you need special fabrics etc.
 Also not sure about sizes, could these be used as Mug rugs or are they just sort of decorative, if you have any how do you use/display them
Thanks

Acorn

Re: Miniature quilts
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 11:55:15 AM »
I am in the process of making a quilt that will (probably) be roughly 15" square.  I am doing it by EPP, because I enjoy having it to do by hand in the evening, but taking on another large EPP quilt is too daunting.  No reason not to do it by machine either.  I find that if the pieces are really tiny (mine are small, but not minuscule) I am more accurate by hand, but whatever suits you!

Personally, everything I make is designed to be used - I can't see any reason why you couldn't use them as mats, mug rugs - anything you want.  Mine is going to keep a small, cuddly philosopher warm.

Don't forget, the quilt police are well and truly imprisoned in our field shelter.  Wonder if I should take them some mince pies...

...nah!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sandra

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 12:01:15 PM »
Same here. I love miniature items. Always have done.

I've had a stab at quilts on a smaller scale and I'm certainly not an expert. I don't know how small you're thinking but these are the ones I've done.
Not really teeny tiny but certainly not big.

I tried them simply to see how it works/if it works. I planned to make another using tiny hexy papers and Liberty lawn...and I might yet try that for this years TSP mini sewalong comp thingy.

I also made one which is now keeping The Sewing Place bear cosy where he lives in DDD. It's on the forum somewhere.

Mine were done on a sewing machine. It's more of an issue to get the accuracy right. There's no wiggle room to match your seams on a smaller scale.
Thicker fabric just shows the seams through more on this scale. That's why I'd like to try the lawn fabric if I do another.

I hand stitched the quilting on the bottom left one....I actually dared to show that one at the Festival of Quilts. It was a few days around my 50th birthday and I dared to go for it. It was worth it to see my daughter do a double-take when she spotted it on show.  0_0
I didn't linger by the display in case I overheard anyone's comments but I don't regret showing it. The judges feedback/comments were kind and fair.  :)

Sandra.
xxx

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 12:40:07 PM »
Love mini quilts...I made these two just before Christmas. There 17x15 inches.

Sara-S

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 17:47:55 PM »
How do you piece accurately when you are working so small?
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 18:38:37 PM »
The true definition of a miniature quilt (By festival rules) is that it must look like a full sized quilt without any perception of scale next to it ... I think what you made @Sandra counts as miniature ... and TSP and his buddy love their quilt!

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again