The Sewing Place

Bias tape

Emma2109

Bias tape
« on: May 24, 2017, 08:28:04 AM »
Good morning

Does anyone make their own bias tape?

I have loads of spare bits of material from various projects. I made some bias tape using some lovely white with multi colour polka dots and used it on a contrasting project (looks quite nice)....

I have now bought some bias tape makers and plan to have an afternoon of cutting/sewing/ironing them....I have also been saving empty toilet rolls to wind them onto once completed....I can't bear to throw away any material (I am also like this with books!!!)....my friend also sews and has said it's a waste of time and easier to just buy bias tape..

What's everyone's thoughts?

Xxxx

Vegegrow

Re: Bias tape
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 08:50:02 AM »
I have a stash of bias tape I have been given but I rarely use it .. it varies in quality so much...  some of the new pretty ones are nice but I don't do that sort of sewing very often and adding up a trip into town  plus the bias costs its easier to sacrifice some cotton scraps...
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 08:58:54 AM »
I have a large jar of ready made bias tape, but the quality is very poor.  I make my own all the time.  Just cut out a T shirt and cut contrast binding for the neck and sleeves.

FWIW, I cut mine on the cutting board using a rotary cutter, but you could just as well rule the fabric with a pencil, and cut it with scissors.  Personally, I don't use a bias maker, but if you feel better using one they work fine.

Enjoy your bias session!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

DementedFairy

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 11:38:44 AM »
If I have ever bought bias tape, it was probably 30 years sago...
Too stiff, too narrow, too limited.  I use scraps too, and have a long boring tape making session whenever mojo deserts me.  I keep it all rolled on bits of card, and stuffed into a ziplock bag.  I don't use bias makers as I find they limit the way I may want to use the tape.  I tend to cut 2" or 2.5" wide, and trim after applying if I need narrower.  I often fold it double, then fold the fold over the raw edges iyswim.
If I do want it folded, I use a couple of needles in the ironing board cover...
C'est moi!

Francesca

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 11:41:31 AM »
Yeah I make my own. I've just for the first time bought bias tape makers but haven't tried them out yet. It's just because I was hoping to make very narrow double-fold which I knew would be fiddly.

I usually cut my strips on my cutting mat with a rotary cutter and use my large quilting ruler to keep the fabric flat and on-grain.

However I saw a tutorial recently for making lots of bias tape from one smaller square of fabric. It doesn't come out as neat but it's good if you don't have enough fabric to do it long-ways.

http://www.makeit-loveit.com/2015/05/how-to-make-one-continuous-strip-of-bias-tape-from-one-square-of-fabric.html

Lilian

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 13:51:58 PM »
I alway make my own bias tape to match whatever it is I am making.  I have used pre-made tape but find it too stiff and it never matches with anything I make.  I sometimes use a bias folder tool but not always, depending how wide I want it.  :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

SkoutSews

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 14:19:42 PM »

However I saw a tutorial recently for making lots of bias tape from one smaller square of fabric. It doesn't come out as neat but it's good if you don't have enough fabric to do it long-ways.

http://www.makeit-loveit.com/2015/05/how-to-make-one-continuous-strip-of-bias-tape-from-one-square-of-fabric.html

I tried this, but ended up with a lot of seams in the tape.  I used the most 'continuous' bits (i.e. avoiding the seams), which ended up being wasteful in itself. 
For folding, although I've tried the pin method, my patience isn't up to the challenge!  For many applications only one fold is needed anyway. 

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 15:55:46 PM »
If I need bias tape I generally cut it myself using rotary cutter and long quilting ruler, but I don't keep a stash of it.  I do have a large reel of white ready made bias tape but it's not as nice a quality as most P&Q fabrics.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Syrinx

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 10:54:50 AM »
I make my own bias binding tape all the time for quilts. I'm naughty and don't always cut on the bias though ;) not that it ever matters.

I've always wanted to try one of those maker tube things as I always end up with roasted fingers from the iron.

I think making your own is better as you can get the right width and fabric and colour and you don't end up with too much left over.

I also use a rotary cutter and long 6x24" quilting ruler to cut mine. I tend to do 2-2 1/2" strips which get folded in, ironed flat, and then folded in half. But I can wiggle it about and use however I need to on the quilts.

Never made any for clothing, so no help there I'm afraid :)

Ploshkin

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 13:11:59 PM »
If you're making something where the edges are bound and it shows then it makes sense to cut your own fabric for the tape to get exactly the colour / pattern you want.  I might use purchased bindings when it is used as a facing and doesn't show on the outside.
I made a top a while ago with curved, bound edges and was able to go to a p & q fabric shop to find something that was right for the fabric of the top.
Life's too short for ironing.

PollyWally

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 13:30:23 PM »
I bought a packet of red silk bias tape in a charity shop recently for 50 cents. The measurements are pre - decimal so it must be over 50 years old at least, I just need to find something special make with it. The previous owner was obviously saving it for something special too and never got around to using it.

DementedFairy

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 14:16:18 PM »
The measurements are pre - decimal so it must be over 50 years old at least,

Bear in mind it may have perished...I would get it off the roll, and take a close look, especially at the folds
C'est moi!

BrendaP

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2017, 17:09:24 PM »
I make my own bias binding tape all the time for quilts. I'm naughty and don't always cut on the bias though ;)

Quilts are better if the binding is straight grain.  Bias binding is for when it needs to be coaxed around curves.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Emma2109

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2017, 22:17:04 PM »
Thank you all for your comments/replies....I did a bias binding marathon today using scrap material and an old nightie!!

I have managed to make 40 metres of bias tape....feeling accomplished and ready for my summer projects....xxxx

PollyWally

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2017, 01:05:16 AM »
Bear in mind it may have perished...I would get it off the roll, and take a close look, especially at the folds

Good suggestion DF, it still had most of the cellophane wrapping so it appears to be in good condition.