The Sewing Place

Post Brexit - Irish Sewing Suppliers?

WildAtlanticWay

Post Brexit - Irish Sewing Suppliers?
« on: January 04, 2021, 10:28:02 AM »
Following Brexit, we now have to pay import fees on top of hefty postage fees to buy supplies from the U.K., so I’m looking to compile a list of Irish (or EU) suppliers that I can purchase from instead.

I know I can buy from the German based Amazon.de so will be swapping to them too. (You can have the page translated into English)

Please post any recommendations here as I’m sure I’m not the only person struggling to find alternative sources.

Thank you.

Gernella

Re: Post Brexit - Irish Sewing Suppliers?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 10:42:29 AM »
I would have thought that Amazon would have worked that out  for you @WildAtlanticWay  so your page was in English, maybe they will give an option. 

Just had a look and you can switch to English, under the German flag bit.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

CraftyIrish

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 11:08:16 AM »
So far i have been ordering off these two online shops.
Apple Tree
Love fabrics
Stitch a long
Instagram sew_web

StitchinTime

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 11:27:38 AM »
I've not used them, but Just Sew Now are located on the Irish border and use both the Royal Mail and An Post. They stock a range of quilting cottons.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 12:10:55 PM »
How about MyFabrics?  I use the .co.uk version, but they are based in Germany, so I think have different websites for different countries.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 12:52:04 PM »
Thank you for your recommendations so far.

Yes, I know of a couple of sewing shops in Northern Ireland that use An Post to post stuff down here so reducing the postal fees but I think they’ll still be expected to apply customs charges.

The lady in Mibs Fabrics is unsure of the current position and is awaiting guidance. (!!!)

I suppose DH will be pleased as I’ll probably be buying much less fabric from now on.  :rolleyes:

Catllar

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 12:55:42 PM »
I use My Fabrics too -the site follows the country you are ordering from it seems. Good choice of fabric and reliable(so far) shipment.

Have to find an alternative for my spice man in the UK, he won't ship here any more but fortunately I had a  good stock up a short while back. As we can't get into Spain either at the moment I'm limiting the curries!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

hernibs

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2021, 12:57:48 PM »
I've not used them, but Just Sew Now are located on the Irish border and use both the Royal Mail and An Post. They stock a range of quilting cottons.

Super link - this is in Northern Ireland and my DH used to work in this area.  Imagine I never heard of them!

Marniesews

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2021, 23:33:55 PM »
Mibs Fabrics is in NI (Bangor). They've been closed over Christmas but online deliveries should be available. I can't see any helpful info on their delivery methods I'm afraid.

I has good printed jerseys and although the range isn't large it's always worth looking at. Their Facebook group is popular for pre-ordering then moves onto the website.

They have a very limited haberdashery but you can order matching Moon thread and may save you separate postage charges.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 23:35:38 PM by Marniesews »
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

hernibs

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2021, 11:14:02 AM »
Thanks for that link too @Marniesews - there's always Craftswoman Fabrics near Carrickfergus if you want beautiful but high priced fabric.  Lovely place to go and browse around too...bit out of the way if you don't drive.  Still have fabric bought there in my small stash.  They are closed at the moment - we are in lockdown - but open on line.

https://www.craftswomanfabrics.com/

Kenora

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2021, 13:53:47 PM »
I buy from Andrea at Beyond the Pink Door. She has beautiful fabrics and her service is excellent. It was @wrenkins who brought her to my attention initially and I've followed her on YouTube ever since.

Pink Door Fabrics

I also buy from Suzie at Threadquarters but she's in N.Ireland (and is currently closed until mid-January).

Threadquarters

Hope this helps. :)

Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Vezelay

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2021, 22:47:20 PM »
@WildAtlanticWay here are a few others that I've used or else friends have mentioned. You probably know some of these already. There was an extensive list on a FB group called Sewing Lovers Ireland - wish I'd paid more attention as the group has literally just vanished from FB as has the administrator!

https://dressfabrics.ie/
https://www.vibesandscribes.ie/
https://www.lovefabric.ie/ (as already stated
https://www.sewstitchy.com/
https://www.sew-irish.ie/
https://www.sewingshop.ie/
https://www.craftersbasket.com/
https://www.fabricromance.ie

A few days ago I ordered some sewing supplies from Jaycotts. Even with UK VAT (not supposed to charge it but they weren't geared up for that yet) and €9.50 postage - for a small order - they still worked out a fair bit cheaper than any Irish suppliers. Fingers crossed it shouldn't incur Irish VAT too but who knows?

Anyway, I'm glad you asked as it was useful to make a list. I'll try to add to it if I come across any more. Useful to have NI suppliers too.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2021, 09:32:40 AM »
Thank you for all your recommendations.

In case anyone is interested, there’s a small friendly sewing group on Facebook called Sewing in Ireland where I’ve compiled a list of Irish suppliers for easy reference.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 09:34:22 AM by WildAtlanticWay »

Tamnymore

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2021, 14:10:48 PM »
Yes it's interesting how Brexit affects so many of us, isn't it? Correct me if I'm wrong but as I understand it if your purchase from the UK to Ireland  (inc postage I fear) is under €22 it won't attract import duty. I realise that 22 euros doesn't go very far if it includes postage too.

I think that strictly speaking the UK supplier should subtract the UK VAT and then the Irish 'VAT' should be added in Ireland. I read that An Post is charging a handling fee of €3.50 on top of the tax owed to collect this. This is better than the equivalent £8 handling fee we are charged in the UK when we have to pay import duty. So if it works according to my understanding it shouldn't be too bad. However I do wonder how many small suppliers are already set up to do this. Big suppliers will be I'm sure. For instance I read that Selfridges are set up to send things to Ireland and they sort out the tax stuff when you do the online purchase so you don't have to sort out anything at the other end and you know exactly what you are paying up front.

I think this is the sort of thing which will get more smooth as time goes on. It'll have to. Meanwhile you lucky Irish peeps can continue to buy from European sites all in Euros and no further tax. I've been a great fan of Driessenstoffen (with my winkelwagen, remember?). They have lovely stuff at really good prices and with a flat postage fee of €9.95 to the UK (which isn't bad if you have accidentally tipped 10m of fabric into your winkelwagan  :devil: ). Presumably the postage costs to Ireland are similar. I don't know how it will be for Brits buying from them now. Luckily I've already been round with my winkelwagen a good few times already while we were still in the transition period!  :devil: :devil:
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Vezelay

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2021, 14:45:04 PM »
Thank you for all your recommendations.

In case anyone is interested, there’s a small friendly sewing group on Facebook called Sewing in Ireland where I’ve compiled a list of Irish suppliers for easy reference.

Thanks @WildAtlanticWay  joined! :)

@Tamnymore I guess it's early days re sussing out the new rules. My Jaycotts delivery arrived safely today, but goodness, the amount of detailed info they had to fill in on the packet was enough to put any small business off exporting from or to the UK. They certainly earned their £9.50! As I said, they weren't geared up yet for deducting VAT but I'm sure that will come. And where else could I buy 10 long dress zips, 2 reels of Gutermann thread and a metre of Vilene interfacing for £11?

The €22 threshold is for VAT (until July when it becomes €0  :(), and €150 before it qualifies for import duty. €3.50 admin charge would be good. I'd read €10 so hoping you're right.

Just to add that I just bought a book off Amazon, no VAT, free delivery, and have a DVD in my basket, uk VAT-less so cheaper for me than last month!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 15:03:12 PM by Vezelay »