The Sewing Place

Post Brexit - Irish Sewing Suppliers?

Sewingsue

Re: Post Brexit - Irish Sewing Suppliers?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2021, 14:27:00 PM »
I suspect one problem is the short notice to find out what they needed to do and to get set up.
Bound to hit small businesses badly and very often they are the ones that keep going thanks to on-line sales. Apparently some EU firms are checking how much they sell in GB and if it's worth jumping through the hoops.

Plus I suspect we haven't bothered to check where stuff is coming from in the past. Could be in for a shock now.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Tamnymore

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2021, 20:08:29 PM »
Well I'm just waiting to see how this will work the other way for those of us in the UK getting stuff from the EU. In a moment of weakness (I have a lot of these  ;) ) I ordered some of the new viscose/linen from Driessenstoffen in the Netherlands. Last year's viscose/linen was very tasty. Even with a bit of an extra charge it would still be pretty good value but I'm seeing all sorts of reports on Twitter of enormous charges on purchases from the EU so I fear the worst. The ironic thing is that I've already paid Dutch VAT at 21% on the purchase so I expect I'll be paying UK VAT at 20% on the parcel  AND the postage  as well and some unspecified but no doubt mega handling charge. Well more fool me! When the parcel arrives and I've cleared out my piggy bank I shall report back here - as a warning!!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Acorn

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2021, 20:49:53 PM »
You are doing very necessary research for all of us @Tamnymore - thank you!   :thumbsup:

BTW Does viscose/linen crease badly?  It sounds lovely.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

hernibs

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2021, 20:53:25 PM »
Indeed she is - and I can't help wondering just how this will affect us in Northern Ireland - I understand some firms have stopped delivering to here.  It remains to be seen....

SkoutSews

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2021, 20:58:04 PM »
I'm also interested in the Driessenstoffen situation @Tamnymore. The viscose linen was something that appealed for the summer. Please report back!

I had read that the new circumstances mean that UK purchasers should not pay EU VAT on purchases, but instead pay tax to HMRC on import. Whether or not that is what happens in practice, we'll have to wait and see. It will take some time to settle down.

Tamnymore

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2021, 21:16:13 PM »
I'm selflessly doing the research on your behalf!    ;)

No I shouldn't pay the Dutch VAT and the UK VAT but let's see what happens.

Viscose linen doesn't crush unduly. It's a nice fabric....and very reasonably priced from Driessenstoffen..... if you're not paying import duty.  :S

Tamnymore

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2021, 20:13:42 PM »
Just to let you know I placed an order with Driessenstoffen and it has been showing as 'processing order' for the last 10 days. Today I got an email from them which said that they weren't shipping to the UK at the moment until they work out what to do about Brexit but they would contact me again. I'm hoping they will deduct the Dutch VAT and I'll pay UK VAT but we'll see.

hernibs

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2021, 23:06:16 PM »
Interesting - did I mention that my German craft firm are not shipping to U.K. (or Northern ireland) at the moment and I hope it's only because they are not sure of what to do etc.  I should e-mail them to ask.
Thanks for letting us know.

Gernella

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2021, 10:19:15 AM »
I don't think I have ever ordered stuff from that side of the water.  You could count Zooplus but they have a warehouse in the UK and are just trading as normally with a reduction of smaller items that they don't sell much
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Sewingsue

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2021, 10:25:21 AM »
I suspect that most of us don't look at where something is coming from just the actual product (well unless the website is obviously 'foreign'. I have learned to put 'UK' when searching, nothing as annoying as finding something perfect and realising you are looking at a USA site with all the shipping problems.

OTOH I have bought things and been surprised to find they came from a European country not GB. Usually thanks to the vagaries of our friend the South American River.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Tamnymore

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2021, 12:25:33 PM »
Well there's no hiding that Driessenstoffen is Dutch - remember the fun I had filling up my winkelwagen?  :laughing: Realy good prices, lovely fabric and quick posting all meant that they were great in the pre -Brexit days when it was so easy to get stuff from Europe and when we weren't juggling the tax thing.

I suspect that companies will find a solution in due course as a lot of business is currently being lost in both directions.

SkoutSews

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2021, 14:04:45 PM »
I hope it gets resolved, as I liked the stuff from Driessenstoffen too. Keep us updated, @Tamnymore  :)

sewmuchmore

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2021, 15:27:53 PM »
@WildAtlanticWay just come across this shop in Galway, any good for your list?
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2021, 17:15:23 PM »
@WildAtlanticWay just come across this shop in Galway, any good for your list?

Brill. Thank you so much. I’ll add it to the growing list.  :thumbsup:

hernibs

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2021, 19:19:05 PM »
My first thought was 'is there a big Indian community in and around Galway'?