The Sewing Place

Bernina supplies

b15erk

Bernina supplies
« on: January 04, 2021, 11:01:30 AM »
Lockdown has been a bit of a discovery time for me, I've spent time getting to know my machines.  Not just the machines I use, but the ones which are usually tucked away for one reason or another.

This weekend, I've been getting to know my Bernina 730.  It's a lovely machine, but the manual is very difficult to follow, however despite this, I have learnt how to do an acceptable buttonhole (not that I'll ever use it for a buttonhole).

The machine is running very well, and is beautifully quiet, but there are a couple of things which need attention, so that I can use it more often.

Firstly, on starting to sew, the machine motor makes noise, but doesn't move without a turn of the handwheel, then it seems to 'snatch' away.  I think the belt is worn and needs replacing, but not sure where is the best place to get one.

Secondly, there are no markings on the bed of the machine, which makes it sewing a seam trial and error.  I've rigged up a 5/8" seam guide with a piece of leather and double sided tape, but this leaves no room for adjustment.  Does anyone know if there is a good magnetic one (or similar), which would work with this machine.  I bought some card ones with markings ages ago, which were suitable for the Singers, but the Bernina is very narrow.

TIA

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Greybird

Re: Bernina supplies
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 11:16:16 AM »
Jessie, I do have markings on the bed of my machine, but on one occasion when I wanted a wider seam I stuck some ordinary sellotape across the bed as a guide. That was some years ago and it's still there.

StitchinTime

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 11:19:40 AM »
@b15erk Give Bambers a ring about spare parts. They had the bits needed to fix a 1970s 707 of mine. They may also have a magnetic seam guide in their haberdashery department.

Ellabella

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 11:37:03 AM »
Jessie I’m sure I have a magnetic seam guide in a box somewhere. You are more than welcome to it if you PM me your address

Puzzler

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 14:21:18 PM »
I also have a magnetic seam guide - you can have two! It doesn't work on my Bernina 801.

Marniesews

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 23:17:11 PM »
The Berninas have alloy bodies, certainly all my 10-11&15-series machines do so magnitic items don't work on them. I'd suggest you use an elastic band, like the weight the postie used to use in the slightly older days so there will be a bit of a raised edge to guide the fabric against. It'll slide on easily past the bobbin access door and grip in place effectively.

With regard to the motor delay, do you normally put the needle in the fabric before starting off? I'm just thinking there may be less resistance when starting at that point in the cycle.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 23:27:06 PM by Marniesews »
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Lachica

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 23:24:40 PM »
@b15erk I also have a 730. (Or 707, I can't remember) It doesn't snatch, but I replaced the belt as although it wasn't worn (the machine had very little use by the looks of its insides) there was a set in the belt which caused a flat spot when stitching the embroidery stitches. I'll have a look tomorrow to see where I ordered from. I remember they were very helpful when I ordered the wrong belt, changed it no problem.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.