The Sewing Place

Light Box

Efemera

Light Box
« on: January 04, 2021, 15:12:27 PM »
Did you know there’s a Light Box app for the iPad.....I found it really good.

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Light Box
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 16:53:52 PM »
Pardon my ignorance (and I don't even have an ipad anyway!) but I'm wondering what you use a lightbox for?

CraftyIrish

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 17:50:07 PM »
i was going to make one for myself to trace a pattern with iron on pencil  or when doing embriodery to see the needle.
Stitch a long
Instagram sew_web

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 18:43:32 PM »
Pardon my ignorance (and I don't even have an ipad anyway!) but I'm wondering what you use a lightbox for?

I’m paper piecing and the pattern has to be marked on the reverse.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Kenora

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 14:14:19 PM »
I have a very thin light box which I use for paper piecing. It works very well. :)

I used to have a home-made box (which DH very kindly cobbled together made for me), but the heat given off by the light melted my cutting mat. :S He did buy me a replacement though (box and cutting mat!). :S
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 14:54:47 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper it's a more convenient alternative to tracing on a window.  I've got a perspex blanking plate for my Horn cabinet.  I don't need to do it often but I have on occasions dropped the machine platform and put a lamp on it to trace.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 14:56:53 PM by Ploshkin »
Life's too short for ironing.

Puzzler

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 08:13:59 AM »
I have a light box that someone cobbled together for me. It’s big and cumbersome but one of those things I don’t use for ages and then suddenly comes in super handy.

Esme866

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2021, 09:33:16 AM »
Still at my parents and I'm looking at the "light box" that help me earn my bachelor's degree in design many moon's ago.

It's a piece of 1/4" thick tempered glass that's approxiamately 16" x 24". I'd sit on the floor ,leaning against my bed, pull my knees up to rest the glass on and place a small table lamp without the shade in between my feet. Worked great.

There have been a few times over the years that I'd wished I had the thing, so now that its "found" I have it sitting so I'll remember to take it with me.

Great that Mom kept it though she's never used/needed it - and they moved house 25 years ago.  Someday all of her cupboards will require emptying.....oy vey! I try hard not to think about that......

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2021, 06:37:49 AM »
@Esme866 so glad you popped in. I was wondering how you and your mom were doing. Is she getting better? Are you able to do anything fun and creative for yourself while you are there? Good to hear from you! Some of our other US members have been MIA recently and it's hard to know if it's the holidays, Covid-19, life in general etc. The last few days it's been following along with the events in DC for me. :scream:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

HooliganHeart

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2021, 15:12:58 PM »
Old school here so no to using apps (even refuse to have a mobile phone now). I do have/use a drafting table with a glass top which provides a 2' x 3' light box when needed.

Esme866

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2021, 19:17:56 PM »
@Renegade Sewist  Hi thanks for asking! Hope all is well with you - though I know that's not completely possible right now.

Still at Mom&Dads, still depressed, still bored, as of 1/6 anxiety levels thru the roof - and out of Xanax. :boohoo: Dr Appt on Monday, so its Pinot Grigio til then. Don't anyone worry - no more than 1 to 2 glasses per day and none yesterday. Last thing I need is NOT to be able to drink a glass when I need to! And the storm brewing right now.....probably need to pick up a bit extra when I'm out.

I was watching Youtube when the Riot started -unaware of the trouble. Woman I was watching was reporting a lawsuit of interest to me. Left youtube to fact check her (3-4 minutes?) and returned to watch her video again as the facts checked out. Her entire channel was deleted!

My "thoughts" are so middle of the road and firmly implanted in the Liberal Zone. Would love to see a certain person disappear from view - even though my selection went his way. But no matter what, our First Amendment rights are being obliterated! I informed my Dad of this Wednesday evening, and since the info was coming from me, I and It was stupid. I've also been telling him for months that major corporations are running the show - and he calls me a conspiracy theorist - this from a hard leaning right wing retired cop!

You should have seen his face Saturday evening when a professional, well known highly successful MALE journalist began discussing the current situation. With his eyes wide open, and his mouth hanging, Dad said, "My God, he's saying EVERYTHING you've been saying for months!"

I have tried to write this post as "a-politically" as I can while trying to explain how middle-of-the-road I am. I DO NOT want to start a political conversation here - TSP is a refuge for me and others. It is so impossible to find civility in this day and age.

Moderators please leave this post as is. Renegade Sewist and I have been here before - we watched as vitriol from both sides destroyed another sewing site.

Anyone wanting to make any comments - Please - PM me - NOTHING will hurt my feelings. If a few of us want to chat as a group we'll work something out somewhere else.

Terrorism, wars, covid, lost in the woods at night, drugged and assaulted -  NOTHING has frightened me more than seeing our right to free speech taken away.

MSN has been dropping all right leaning emails into my spam folder for several months. I get it - though fundraising for a sitting President seemed like overreach IMO. BUT out of the blue -1 and only 1 email from a sewing group member was dumped there. I receive TONS of emails from this group. That seemed strange enough, but then to my surprise, for the first time ever, the TSP notification for RenSew's mention to me -went to spam. They've always gone to my box before. Could be coincidental timing and a fluke - OR - Am I not supposed to communicate across the pond?

I don't know.

Everyone stay safe and try to remain positive -even though I'm finding it hard to do with tears blurring my vision and rolling down my cheeks.

steve_h

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2021, 23:28:25 PM »
No, communication across the pond is forbidden. They don't have as much control over what you find out there. You might even find out some real facts as opposed to their "good facts".

Genius syndrome...the guy down the road is just the guy down the road. The guy from a few hundred miles away, who may not be as well qualified is a bloomin' genius. I've seen it many times over the years, as I am sure you have.

I have access to a 3' x 4' light table at work if I need it. I guess it's a benefit of working for a printer. We have all of the stuff around for working with negatives.

I hope everyone out here is OK. Try to stay healthy, safe, and positive. It's all gotta get better at some point.

Lollipop

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2021, 10:22:51 AM »
I have a fairly long, glass topped console table and I put a lamp underneath to create my own light table.
It's a bit too small to trace full sized sewing patterns but works great for smaller things.
Was Sewnanny