The Sewing Place

Confused of Addiscombe - which thread should I use?

Addiscomber

Confused of Addiscombe - which thread should I use?
« on: January 05, 2021, 10:32:03 AM »
I have reluctantly accepted that it is too uncomfortable for me to use a sewing machine for the moment, and so I think it is time to try some patchwork and quilting by hand. I have done some research and decided what I would like to do but I am totally confused by which thread to use.

Some books and Internet pages are adamant that only cotton should be used, whilst others (including The Quilter's Bible) say that regular sewing thread is fine for piecing. Being a garment maker up until now I have a range of colours in good quality polyester thread, and I do not want to buy more thread if it isn't necessary, so can I use them to sew my patches together, or will the sky fall in?

Acorn

Re: Confused of Addiscombe - which thread should I use?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 10:35:42 AM »
No, the sky won't fall in.  You can use any thread you like (well, within reason - buttonhole thread would just be a pain!)

If you find the thread gets tangled you can use wax on it - get a wax block and you just pull the thread through the edge of it before you start sewing.

Enjoy!   :thumbsup:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 11:38:04 AM »
I only ever use cotton thread as I only ever use cotton fabric.
However as the Quilt Police are self isolating in @Acorn s shed, you can use whatever you like :thread:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Sara-S

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 11:40:25 AM »
I only ever use cotton thread as I only ever use cotton fabric.
However as the Quilt Police are self isolating in @Acorn s shed, you can use whatever you like :thread:

What @Lowena said.  :thread:
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 14:17:19 PM »
 :scream: Oh no! Oh the horror!! 

:laughing:

To me cotton is "regular sewing thread". Most of my garments are cotton or linen with a little rayon thrown in so I buy very little polyester and stick with cotton thread.

Some polyester threads are a bit stiffer and don't relax as well as cotton does. Beeswax or another thread conditioner like Thread Magic help the thread to glide through the fabric with less resistance. That helps with hand fatigue. The conditioners also help lessen tangles.

I would use what I have but definitely use a conditioner. They make hand sewing thread that is slightly glazed for the same reason. It's a nice luxury. If you really get into hand sewing it might be a nice treat.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 15:21:11 PM »
However as the Quilt Police are self isolating in Acorn's shed,

Self isolating you say ??   :[  Thats not what I heard !!!!  :devil:  :laughing:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Efemera

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 16:11:47 PM »
I use ordinary sewing thread for piecing... and for quilting :scream:... I know I’m a scutty sewer but I’m also a bit of a perfectionist and if I say so myself my quilts are very nice.

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2021, 18:17:14 PM »
Yes, regular sewing thread for the piecing, cotton or poly - and beeswax helps of it gets knotty.  For hand quilting use pearl cotton/coton perle rather than machine quiltinq thread, size 8.  It's a little thicker which suits the bigger hand quilting stitches, and also Z twisted which most right handed stitchers find less inclined to knot than S twisted thread which is designed for sewing machines.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Addiscomber

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2021, 20:33:23 PM »
Thanks all. I'm not quite ready to start yet, but if I had needed to order cotton threads that could have been going through whilst I finish off a couple of UFOs.

Kaliratbags

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2021, 22:13:47 PM »
I did a few blocks of the Lucy Boston “Patchwork of the crosses” EPP (hand piecing us not my thing, not fast enough for Speedy Gonzales) and I found the best thread was the same one I use for machine piecing - Aurifil 50 wt thread. Only ever had a reel of charcoal and a neutral. It’s so fine, two colours are all you need, because it melts into the fabric. Reduces bulk of seams. Love it.
Singer 28k hand crank, 66k (x2!) 99K, 221k, 222k, 348k, Elna Lotus 'Zig Zag', Frister and Rossman Model 45, Viking Husqvarna Platinum 955E, and now 3 industrial Singers - 31k15 treadle head, a 96k49 and a compound walking foot 31k47

Catllar

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2021, 21:33:53 PM »
I know you are talking about hand sewing, but when I'm patching I use whatever thread or colour comes to hand, or whatever I want to use up - - i'm not a total philistine though and don't mix cotton and poly in bobbin and top , but I do mix colours - (sorry to the purists) at the moment I'm piecing a being  and brown thing using purple and red thread! :devil: It won't show when it's finished.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !