The Sewing Place

Wonder/Binder Clips

talamasca

Wonder/Binder Clips
« on: May 24, 2017, 11:44:45 AM »
I've seen these being used in quite a few video tutorials and would like to get some, but at £30 for 50 they're quite expensive.  Has anyone purchased these from ebay, which are currently selling at £5 for 100!!!!!  I know they'll be cheaper versions, but just wondered if anyone had any experience with them.

Also, would mini metal bulldog clips work just the same, as they're definitely cheaper!?

Francesca

Re: Wonder/Binder Clips
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 11:46:33 AM »
I have them, I use them for bagmaking as it's easier to sandwich all the layers.

They do work very well. I think mine were maybe a tenner on eBay. They're great for multiple layers and much quicker than pins but also bulkier.

Bulldog clips IMO are firstly too hard to open (need considerable pinching force to get them open) and also they have one small edge which grips which I think would mark the fabric.

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 11:47:50 AM »
I use the little wooden pegs from the Works.  They come in different sizes, and lots of pretty designs, at a fraction of the price of 'proper' clips.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

JillH

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 14:34:20 PM »
I bought a hundred off eBay, they cost £4.75 with free postage.  They seem to work fine, I haven't had a problem with them (yet :devil:).
Jill -  trying to grow old disgracefully.

talamasca

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 15:05:46 PM »
Thanks everyone...I did think the bulldog clips wouldn't be the best to use.  I hadn't thought about wooden pegs :D

That's good to know about the eBay ones, but since I have some little pegs I'm going to see how I get on with them.

rowe1311

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 22:29:24 PM »
I use my girls hair clips, and they work great for them when doing patchwork squares.  I still use pins more for clothes though. 

Maximum

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 23:54:43 PM »
I bought the Barnyarns version of the clips. They work really well and are half the price or less.

elephun

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 00:02:51 AM »
I completely agree with Francesca:
Bulldog clips IMO are firstly too hard to open (need considerable pinching force to get them open) and also they have one small edge which grips which I think would mark the fabric.

I have Wonder Clips and they are very handy for clipping layers together that would shift if a pin were used, or clipping layers that cannot be pinned. My husband bought them for me. I wouldn't have purchased them for myself because they are expensive, but now that I have them I would buy more if I felt I needed more. I can't speak for the off-brand ones, but  they seem to work just fine, as Francesca and JillH have reported.

I've never had much luck using wooden pegs as they can get knocked around easily because of the long ends. I also have a knack for accidentally twisting the pegs and having them fall apart. They are definitely worth a try if you have them around the house, though! Someone more coordinated (or careful) than I am might have better luck!  ;)

I got a set of Getta Grip Clips when I took a draping course on Craftsy. The clips are really nice for draping. They can also be used much the same way as Wonder Clips, but they are bulky and much more expensive, so I wouldn't suggest them as a realistic alternative. If I need extra draping clips, I use something like this that I've had around the house:

maliw

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 11:29:37 AM »
DD bought me some as part of a Christmas present and then there were some as a freebie on one of the quilting magazines a couple of months ago, very useful.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Marniesews

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 00:39:14 AM »
I have a set of wonder clips and use them occasionally. I'd not generally consider using wooden pegs as a lot of my fabrics can pluck easily.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.