The Sewing Place

Question about cable jersey?

Surest1tch

Question about cable jersey?
« on: January 09, 2021, 21:41:02 PM »
Has anyone used this,
https://www.higgsandhiggs.com/cable-knit-jersey-ivory-white-020.html
I like this but am wondering if it runs like a hand knitted piece and if it pills. I've got very little time for sewing at the moment but I'm determined to find time to make a simple top and don't want to waste my energy, time or cash if it's going to end up in the bin after a couple of washes.
Thanks in advance  <3

Efemera

Re: Question about cable jersey?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 22:00:23 PM »
It wouldn’t run... it’s a close knit poly... shouldn’t pill either.

Stitchalot

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 23:21:36 PM »
I made the mistake of putting it in the tumble dryer on its initial wash which caused some piling. It was still wearable and I don’t think it has got any worse since then. It’s easy to sew with and doesn’t run. It doesn’t have a lot of lengthways stretch. It is nice, just don’t tumble dry!

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 09:07:11 AM »
It doesn't look to be cabled in the same way that a hand knit is cables; rather it's embossed into a cable design.

Pilling shouldn't cause it to run/ladder, it just looks a bit scruffy if it does happen.  Sometimes a jersey fabric will run upwards from a cut edge but that's easy to spot before you do any cutting out.  The 3% elastane is likely to minimise the chances of that happening.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Happymrsg

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 15:57:53 PM »
I have used it.
I used this cable knit from TFG
& made this Simplicity version of the toaster sweater
I made it before Christmas & have worn it a lot. I'm really pleased with it because its very cosy & comfortable to wear, with no signs of pilling. I recommend it   :thumbsup:

Kenora

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2021, 17:54:04 PM »
I've used cable jersey too, although not the one you link to. It is very easy to sew with, and it's warm to wear, but I also made the mistake of putting mine in the tumble dryer - it pilled a little, although not a lot. :) It definitely doesn't run.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

classical retro

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2021, 10:06:56 AM »
Thanks for this post. I’ve been eyeing this fabric for ages but couldn’t decide, partly because polyester can irritate my skin. Just in case going to order this for summer.
CR :angel:

[Removed an extra http:// from the link - Acorn :) ]
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 10:31:23 AM by Acorn »

Surest1tch

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2021, 15:07:54 PM »
Thanks for all your replies.  I've ordered 3 colours, pale blue, cream and mink. I've just been in my sewing room trying to draught a pattern but can't decide on the style I want plus I'm debating about lining it with fleece. If the longer weather forecast is right it sounds like we're in for a Beast from the East 2, supposedly arriving end of January beginning of February so I guess perhaps something really warm to wear is called for  :thinking:.