The Sewing Place

Lowering the blooming presser foot!

MayanGold

Lowering the blooming presser foot!
« on: January 11, 2021, 00:40:29 AM »
So, as per my newbie post I’m a total novice and last week took delivery of a shiny Janome machine which I’m absolutely loving.
To my total amazement I’ve mastered threading but I cannot for the life of me remember to lower the foot before I (attempt to) start sewing......
Is this a common ‘thing’?
Does anyone have any tips for remembering this rather vital step or is it a case of giving it time and muscle memory will kick in?
Thank goodness I’m still at the ‘practicing with pillow cases’ stage

Renegade Sewist

Re: Lowering the blooming presser foot!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 02:54:02 AM »
@MayanGold that is exactly what I do! Any time I need to be reminded of something on goes the post it!
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 08:01:00 AM »
It won't take long for the muscle memory to kick in.  After decades of manually lifting a presser foot I acquired an electronic machine without a presser foot lever - it's got a button and a knee lift.  It was ages before I stopped fishing round the back of the needle to lift the presser foot.  Trouble is, now if I use a different machine I'm waving my leg around trying to find a knee lift  :)
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 08:58:58 AM »
Which machine did you go for in the end @MayanGold ???

I have an Atelier7 and it has an automatic presser foot lift, either by button or by depressing the foot pedal ... so I'm completely thrown if using another machine!!!

As they say in all the best places .... 'Manually lifting the foot is sooo last year Dahhhhling!'

Said with my tongue firmly inserted in my cheek!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Gernella

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 13:13:33 PM »
I shouldn't worry, I get puzzled when they are in different places however slight, I'm fumbling like I've never used one before when I switch machines.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Marniesews

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2021, 21:31:55 PM »
I get puzzled when they are in different places.

Oh yes, that was a problem when I first got a Brother overlocker with the lever on the right of the machine, I was constantly reaching out with the wrong hand - on both the overlocker and the sewing machine. Consistently annoying!  :rolleyes:

When I got sewing machines with knee lifts it resolved that entirely (as well as incredibly good for sewing efficiency and control in themselves). When I upgraded to the big Juki, however, I realised that was the one and only thing I missed about the Brother. I found it awkward using the left hand again so the knee lift of the latest Bernina overlocker is going to be an ongoing temptation which I really can't justify on those grounds alone in current circumstances.  >:)
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Sara-S

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 00:57:54 AM »
Muscle memory is not what people think it is  and will not just “kick in.”  This is something your brain needs to memorize.  Since I assume you are not planning to replace your machine, leaving yourself a visible reminder (the Post-it is just fine) will help you, until you commit that step to memory.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.