The Sewing Place

New sewing machine trouble

Iminei

Re: New sewing machine trouble
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2020, 12:29:37 PM »
Glad stuff is happening now ...

SMD are good, nothing wrong with their machines or their service but you need to know what you want.

But if you can try before you buy, its better ... Sadly not an option at the moment

If you ask anyone what their favourite machine is and it will vary, everybody is different ...

Me, I'm a Janome girl ... I think they make the best sewing machines (in my price bracket) but for Embroidery its Brother all the way.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Penabby

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2020, 12:34:49 PM »
@Penabby I notice you are in Devon - have you considered Exeter Sewing Machine Co? They are a bricks and mortar shop (for when the time comes) and a Janome stockist.
Yes, I did have a look at them, but I really like the model and price tag of the Janome 5060QDC from Sewing Machines Direct. I am encouraged by what people have said about them, so seriously thinking of ordering today.
The mind is everything, what you think you become - Buddha.

Penabby

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2020, 12:51:43 PM »
I have just had a look again at The Exeter Sewing Machine company and found the Janome 5060QDC hidden in their online shop at the same price, not sure how I missed it before, so have messaged them and if they can get it too m promptly I will go with them.

Penabby

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2020, 13:05:24 PM »
I am happy as Larry! Just ordered from The Exeter Sewing Machine Company after speaking to Chris, he was great and offered me a days tuition when they reopen. Paid for and on its way, hopefully to arrive before the weekend. Thank you all so much for your help. So very appreciated  <3

Nevis5

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2020, 13:16:13 PM »
That's great service and great news, @Penabby  !  Fingers crossed you like this one better.

Oh and welcome to TSP xxx :toast:

Penabby

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2020, 12:11:18 PM »
Just to update you. My new Janome arrived today, got it out of the box, read the manual, threaded it and did a test and its just perfect, first time! Very happy so far  :loveit:

Celia

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2020, 14:39:36 PM »
Good to hear

Gittje

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2020, 07:22:32 AM »
My new Janome arrived today, got it out of the box, read the manual, threaded it and did a test and its just perfect, first time! Very happy so far  :loveit:
It's a great little machine! Happy sewing  :sew:

Arloony

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2021, 14:29:00 PM »
Just to update you. My new Janome arrived today, got it out of the box, read the manual, threaded it and did a test and its just perfect, first time! Very happy so far  :loveit:

Hello, this is the machine I am thinking of buying...are you happy so far with it? is it a speedy one? 820spm does not seem that quick? Does it have capacity to work well with a few layers of fabric (thick quilt)
Looking forward to hear how you are getting on with it so far. Thanks

Gernella

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2021, 16:17:08 PM »
820spm might not sound much @Penabby but better to go slower than put your foot down, 900spm seem about normal for sewing machines now other than the straight stitch ones.  To be honest I would rather take my time sewing a seam and be in control that go like jackpoo and have to get my ripper out.  I sew with no shoe on  so I can have better control of my machine. 

Most trouble I have is trying to find where I've kicked the shoe to.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Iminei

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2021, 18:10:45 PM »
I agree ... Sewing slowly = sewing right ... Go fast and you (usually) have to unpick

I sew quite slowly, it suits me, I like it ... Its mindful and takes my head away from any of the thousands of things that can stress me out.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

b15erk

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2021, 19:46:59 PM »
A big welcome from me too Penabby, glad to hear you got yourself sorted with a sewing machine.

We'll now have to see if we can point you in the direction of other 'essential' items ... :thumbsup:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Greybird

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2021, 22:58:15 PM »
I agree about the speed - the real skill comes in making the machine go slowly. A bit like boy racers in cars - any fool can put their foot down hard on a pedal.

Lilian

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2021, 23:39:04 PM »
Welcome @Penabby  :vintage: :drink:
Willing but not always able :)

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2021, 06:22:59 AM »
The original poster hasn't been here since last May.  ;) so don't be too surprised if you don't get a response. She's obviously very busy sewing.  :meditation:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.