The Sewing Place

Allô from Haïti (Caribbean)

lakaribane

Allô from Haïti (Caribbean)
« on: May 24, 2017, 12:45:18 PM »
I saw the thread on PR but didn't pay much attention, I admit. Then an efriend told me about being a member here. So I came over, looked around, liked what I read and here I am now!

I live in Port-au-Prince, the capital of Haïti, in the Caribbean. Avid seamstress from a family of seamstresses, artists, teachers and lawyers. What this means is that I am creative, talkative and opinionated  :P

I sew only garments, in part because, being only 1,53m (5ft), buying RTW is never simple. But I really enjoy it and, now that I am mastering my basic alterations more and more, I can make things that fit exactly as I want them to!

Burda fangurl with a growing interest for KnipMode but also a Big4 pattern stash thanks to some key enablers in the US. I love natural fibers (despite current, questionable obsession with viscose/rayon/tencel/cupro etc.) but knits don't require ironing and my country is plagued with energy problems.

(Well, now that the dry season has started, I am sewing and wearing only breathable fabrics...)

I hope to have a lot of fun with you guys. One of my specialties over at PR was finding patterns for people. I choose my projects based on the line drawings and I guess I memorized a lot of them  0_0 And since I work in Education (two jobs!), I can research the shit out of anything. #overthinker. Let the good times roll!

Vegegrow

Re: Allô from Haïti (Caribbean)
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 13:28:52 PM »
Welcome lakaribane to our new playground.. we are a wide variety of happy sewists who also like to wander off in diverse conversations about most stuff  we are pleased that you can join us ...enjoy the forum  :)
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Francesca

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 13:35:52 PM »
Welcome Lakaribane! I recognise you from PR, we have a few PR faces here :)

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 16:20:46 PM »
Welcome from me too! Help yourself to a  :drink: and a  :cake:, and join us.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

maliw

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 17:18:47 PM »
Hello and welcome from me too, hope you enjoy being here with us all.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

elephun

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 17:24:56 PM »
Hi Lakaribaine! Nice to see you here!

Surest1tch

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 17:48:11 PM »
Hi Lakaribaine, welcome from Yorkshire.

Marniesews

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 17:55:36 PM »
Hello and welcome from me too.

Your comments on unreliable energy supplies makes me wonder what sewing machine you use - a vintage treadle would work well for you I'm thinking, if only as a backup during interrupted supplies.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 18:20:19 PM »
Welcome!  As someone else who is only 5 ft I completely understand where you're coming from. 

Catllar

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 20:35:37 PM »
Hi and welcome - you'll fit right in here, I can tell. On reading your hello post I thought for a minute you said you chose your projects from drawer linings! ??!? :o
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

BajaSusana

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 17:59:59 PM »
Welcome my friend! Glad to see you here.
 We can speak our minds.
  :loveit:

lakaribane

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 19:02:29 PM »
Thank you all for the welcome! I think I jinked myself talking about electricity. I'm having electrical problems at home AND my internet was misbehaving yesterday.  :(

Anyway, here's to all the fun times ahead!  :toast: (rum, of course!)

lakaribane

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2017, 19:17:04 PM »
Your comments on unreliable energy supplies makes me wonder what sewing machine you use - a vintage treadle would work well for you I'm thinking, if only as a backup during interrupted supplies.

I did buy a threadle but it was a hidden charitable gesture, trying to help out someone leaving the country in a hurry. A coworker of my mother's wants to buy it but now I"m thinking I might reconsider this move.

To clarify, I have a back up energy source call an inverter. It stocks electricity in batteries and so I can use the lights, tv etc but nothing with heat (toaster, hair dryer) or a motor (refrigerator, water pump). Well, my inverter did not kick in last night and it was screaming the night before, a sign of no charge in the batteries.  :S

I have woken up at 4h am before to sew, just not looking forward to doing so now. Decisions, decisions...

crooknees

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2017, 18:12:27 PM »
Welcome from me too lakaribane. Make yourself at home and join the fun. :flower: