The Sewing Place

Vecro for Fastening Dog Bandanas

suburban

Vecro for Fastening Dog Bandanas
« on: January 12, 2021, 16:01:35 PM »
Hello again,

I tried using velcro before - this was back when I tried to make a dog coat.  Running before I could walk.  So I'm trying dog bandanas now.  One thing I remembered about velcro, is that it was a pain to work with, but I'd like to have another go before I give up.  Sew-in and glue type velcro didn't want to behave with me.  I don't know whether I used a velcro which was too strong - because after a couple of days they just ripped each other off the dog coat.  Can anyone recommend a type of velcro suitable for fastening a dog bandana?  Any tips re machine sewing velcro onto a cotton fabric?  Needle size, stitch length etc.  I'd rather avoid adhesive, if possible.  Any help appreciated, thanks.

sewmuchmore

Re: Vecro for Fastening Dog Bandanas
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 17:33:27 PM »
I use the Soft and Flexible  Velcro for dog stuff (and for kids stuff as well) as it is not as harsh as the bog standard stuff you can buy. Try to sew the Velcro around the edge and back stitch at the start and end. You may find that using your zipper foot allows you to get closer to the edge. If you do use the soft stuff then you could probably use the same size needle as you would for the rest of the item, 10/12 depending on your cotton fabric. If your Velcro is the stiffer stuff then go up a needle size.
Some people also sew across from corner to corner on small pieces to secure but i have never felt the need to do this.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 18:24:33 PM »
I've sewn ordinary velcro onto cordura fabric, my newer Pfaff wasn't happy, but my older Elna did it no problem. I think I may have used a denim needle too.

suburban

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 16:52:58 PM »
Hello and thanks for replying.  I've forgotten how to reply to single posts, so I might right this twice. 

1  Thanks 'Bodgeitandscarper' - Different makes do seem to have their quirks.  I wish there was just one brand of sewing machine so we'd all know where we are.   

2  Thanks 'sewmuchmore'  I looked on Amazon uk and bought some.  It's arriving from the States!  Won't be here until mid-February.  Jeez.  Near enough sold out too.  Ebay and other distributors were the same.   Everybody's "crafting" because of Lockdown...

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 05:46:59 AM »
Everybody's "crafting" because of Lockdown...

@suburban I'm not sure we're crafting but we are shopping !  :laughing:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

suburban

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 01:53:06 AM »
I suppose that's true. :o

So Chic

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 12:29:59 PM »
I hate Velcro, it’s the invention of the devil.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

suburban

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 09:47:27 AM »
I hate Velcro, it’s the invention of the devil.

It would not behave with me.  I didn't like the way you cut it with scizzors, down to the right size.  You just get an ugly, unfinished look at the cut mark.  I know there are little velcro round circles on the market, but I don't fancy my chances on sourcing them.  It was hard enough to get the regular soft-sew on "tape" version.  It would actually be perfect for my needs, but at the same time unworkable.    :meditation:

Surest1tch

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2021, 19:38:31 PM »
@suburban I haven't used Velcro on dog outfits but I have used it on difficult fabrics. I used the stick on stuff to place it exactly where I wanted it and then stitched it in place if that's any help. I've just had a look at my dogs shop bought coat and the Velcro is 2" wide on that.

Lilian

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2021, 19:49:42 PM »
I have made a few bandanas for my dog.  I make them with a channel to slip the collar through  :) :woof:
Willing but not always able :)

suburban

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2021, 18:12:11 PM »
@suburban I haven't used Velcro on dog outfits but I have used it on difficult fabrics. I used the stick on stuff to place it exactly where I wanted it and then stitched it in place if that's any help. I've just had a look at my dogs shop bought coat and the Velcro is 2" wide on that.
  Thank you for looking!  :angel: