The Sewing Place

Burda 08/2020 103

dolcevita

Burda 08/2020 103
« on: January 12, 2021, 16:47:29 PM »
I'm in need of some tops that are easy to wear, like long sleeved t-shirts, but that are a bit nicer. I made this pattern late last year and really like the neckline. It's very flattering for me but not much more bother than a normal t-shirt. The design takes little more than 1.2m (depending on if you need to pattern match), and I daresay you could squeeze it out of less than that if you did 3/4 length sleeves.

I've called the jazzy red one Optimism, on the basis that I'd like to wear it if we go our for dinner for my birthday. However, as that's late February a more appropriate name might be Misplaced Optimism. Once can hope!
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Acorn

Re: Burda 08/2020 103
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 17:00:50 PM »
Very nice - it's a lovely shape too.   :thumbsup:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 17:09:12 PM »
That’s nice.lovely neck detail.

Silver Rose

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 17:33:50 PM »
I like the neckline and your fabrics are pretty.
Still learning

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 17:39:09 PM »
@dolcevita , yet another beautiful top.  That looks lovely!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Catllar

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 17:56:07 PM »
Definite win. :toast: I do love that wide neckline - both the wide band and the wide opening. Can't make out much detail from the site photo, I'd have wizzed past that one without stopping to look at the line diagram.  Thinking that I have a raglan top that would be hackable!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 18:44:21 PM »
Lovely.  Wish I could wear wide necks!   

dolcevita

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2021, 18:50:55 PM »
Thanks, all. The pink mix top makes me think of a lava lamp!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2021, 18:53:07 PM »
Thanks, all. The pink mix top makes me think of a lava lamp!

0_0 0_0  Bought my mum and dad one of those  years ago.

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2021, 19:14:25 PM »
I love those tops. They're beautifully sewn.

Can I ask did you sew the hems with a twin needle or a much coveted (by me), coverstitch machine?

I'm planning my first ever foray into knit fabric sewing so any tips would be greatly appreciated.  8)

dolcevita

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2021, 20:49:35 PM »
I love those tops. They're beautifully sewn.

Can I ask did you sew the hems with a twin needle or a much coveted (by me), coverstitch machine?

I'm planning my first ever foray into knit fabric sewing so any tips would be greatly appreciated.  8)

Thanks!
I used a coverstitch for the hems but my coverstitch machine and I don't have the best of relationships. It's like the unreliable boyfriend. Good looking, holding so much promise and, on a good day, it's great.  But it's good for only one thing, moody and temperamental and lets you down at the worst of times, sometimes even chewing your work up.
We're getting on well at the moment but some of the incentive is that I dislike twin needles more than my coverstitch! Don't get me wrong, they do work, but I'm not keen on the finish.
For most things, a twin needle or even a narrow zigzag on a standard machine will serve perfectly well - there's no need to rush.

SkoutSews

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2021, 11:04:41 AM »
Love the description of the coverstitch machine! That's exactly how I feel about mine too, but I couldn't have expressed it so well.

Your two tops are beautifully made, as always. I like the style.

b15erk

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2021, 11:13:22 AM »
I've used lockdown to make friends with my CS machine, and I'm a lot more confident with it now.  Mine is a Pfaff combination machine, and it's helped me no end, to buy a cheap overlocker so that I don't have to keep changing it back to CS.

I also use a twin needle though, although as @dolcevita  says, it doesn't have the best finish on the back.  It is though, very quick to set up, and for small jobs it's fine.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2021, 11:39:28 AM »
Would finances allow you to upgrade @dolcevita ?   You do a lot of work on knits. And a temperamental CS can be annoying.  Agree about the twin needle.  I don’t think it ever looks great and it doesn’t really have the stretch needed. 

dolcevita

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2021, 12:41:48 PM »
Would finances allow you to upgrade @dolcevita ?   You do a lot of work on knits. And a temperamental CS can be annoying.  Agree about the twin needle.  I don’t think it ever looks great and it doesn’t really have the stretch needed.

I could upgrade but I'm not ready to thow in the towel on this one yet. I was expecting to have lots of skipped stitches on the pink top as it's a fairly bouncy man made fibre. However, I used sone cones of thread that I bought from Driessenstoffen with my last order and it's much finer than all of my other threads. It could be coincidental, but it sewed like a dream and it was great. I may change my threads first - cheaper and easier than changing my machine. I also hate the thought of any machine getting the better of me; it would be like the unreliable boyfriend winning an argument!