The Sewing Place

Bernina 730 Record Belt replacement

b15erk

Bernina 730 Record Belt replacement
« on: January 13, 2021, 11:04:31 AM »
Well, I lifted this machine out last week and started making friends with it, but it's always had a small problem that put me off using it.  When I start off sewing, it will often hesitate, then 'snatch' at the fabric.  I'm pretty sure this is a belt problem, as I managed to remove the side and I could see that the top belt is worn badly in a few areas.

So, I got in touch with Helen Howes, and she supplied me with the belts which I received yesterday, and Youtube and I decided to have a go at replacing them... :rolleyes:

I got the side panel off, and the handle, and I could see what I needed to do, but I couldn't find a way to remove the motor cover, which needs to be taken off both to remove the old belts, and to replace with new.

After over an hour, I replaced everything as it was and decided to ask for help... So, HELP!

I haven't managed to find a video showing the changing of the belts, so if anyone knows of one I would be very grateful, as my machine is now making a squeaking noise...  :'(

Alternatively, if anyone knows of an engineer in this neck of the woods Wigan/StHelens area I would be delighted.  I did use Bob Green but I think he's in poor health these days.

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

LeilaMay

Re: Bernina 730 Record Belt replacement
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 11:28:17 AM »
I'm looking at mine - give me a minute  . .

LeilaMay

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 11:32:27 AM »
If you turn the machine onto it's back, you'll see a large straight groove screw head, bottom left (as you're now looking at it) next to the rubber foot. I do believe that has to come out.

Let me know if you're still stuck after that

Leila :)

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 11:35:38 AM »
@LeilaMay Thank you!  I'm just looking for videos now, but there doesn't seem to be one that covers everything involved in replacing the belts...

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

LeilaMay

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 11:42:21 AM »
No idea on videos. We just kind of worked it out as we went along. I'm all gung-ho to take screws out and see what happens  :) (except on a Husquvana)

StitchinTime

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 12:39:46 PM »
Oh my goodness @StitchinTime !  That is excellent!  I'd just come downstairs after hitting a problem, and that blogspot sounds just what I need - thank you!

@LeilaMay , your instructions were great and I got the motor cover off, and changed the belts.  Well, I changed one of them, the lower one was too small, this shouldn't matter because that belt is in good nick. 

I should have known it was too good to be true though, as when I put everything back together, the belt I think is too slack, although it is exactly the same length as the old one.

I'm going to have a look at that blog now and see where I'm going wrong...

Thank you both!

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2021, 13:21:14 PM »
 :thumbsup: :dance:

Here's to the power of TSP!  :toast: :drink:

@LeilaMay and @StitchinTime Thank  you both!

I now have a Bernina 730 Record which is running beautifully - no 'snatching' when I start to sew.  It may well prove to be a turning point in my relationship with this machine!

:dance: :dance: :dance:

Jessie

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2021, 14:19:23 PM »
I love a happy ending  0_0

LeilaMay

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2021, 14:51:27 PM »
Great! And a lovely machine - enjoy :)