« on: January 14, 2021, 09:40:46 AM »
here
Thought some of you may find this useful
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

SkoutSews

Re: guide to waterproof fabrics
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 10:25:10 AM »
Thanks, @sewmuchmore, that's useful and interesting.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 10:45:27 AM »
Thanks, an interesting read  :)

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 11:47:10 AM »
Thanks.  Will save that.  Keep saying I’ll make a waterproof sometime.  Could have done with a hat the other day so could start small.  Or maybe get one of those plastic ones that tie up and are folded.  :laughing:
Anyone remember them?   Do they still make them?

Starryfish

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 12:34:03 PM »
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 12:52:32 PM »
@Starryfish wonderful!   Don’t need to bother making a hat now do I?    :laughing:
And there’s a great choice.....even polka dot ones too.  Heck, I’m sorted  :thumbsup:  :laughing:

Lilian

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 14:40:31 PM »
Thanks.  Will save that.  Keep saying I’ll make a waterproof sometime.  Could have done with a hat the other day so could start small.  Or maybe get one of those plastic ones that tie up and are folded.  :laughing:
Anyone remember them?   Do they still make them?

I do  :| they were folded concertina style.  I wonder if they are still about, they were so useful  :)
Willing but not always able :)

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 18:27:15 PM »
Can’t find the exact ones @Lilian but Starryfish found something similar.

Lilian

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 18:43:34 PM »
Thanks @Ohsewsimple They are not the same but similar.  I think I may have found the same. :)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 18:46:16 PM by Lilian »
Willing but not always able :)

KayK

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2021, 11:17:24 AM »
Ripstop fabric does live up to its name - Horse rugs are often made of this and some are very good at ripping their rugs.  It does tear, but not far and is easily repairable, and does not fray either.
I cracked up when I saw the rain hats - i remember they used to come in little pouches, and had to be super dry before you packed them up again, otherwise they stuck to themselves.  I remember having a fairly substantial one that used to be supplied with the school regulation 'Robert Hirst' raincoats!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Ploshkin

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2021, 09:13:51 AM »
I hated wearing those rain hats over my velour school hat (winter) and straw boater (summed).  I thought it looked like a lampshade.

A very useful article - thanks.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 09:18:55 AM by Ploshkin »
Life's too short for ironing.

Flobear

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2021, 09:17:11 AM »
I hated the things too. I don't remember wearing them over my school hats (both of which I still have, btw) but I do remember the horrible feeling when the rain soaked into the ribbon tie and dribbled round under my neck  :S
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Starryfish

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2021, 14:23:25 PM »
I hated them, especially when teamed with a pacamac. I couldn't stand the smell, so plasticy. It reminds me of boring wet summer holidays in Bournemouth. We used to stay in boarding houses, and you weren't allowed back in until about 5pm even if it was pouring with rain.

A day without sewing is a day wasted.