The Sewing Place

Greetings from Romania :)

Jo

Greetings from Romania :)
« on: May 24, 2017, 16:56:06 PM »
Hello everyone! I'm so glad to have found an active sewing forum :)
I have 0 friends interested in sewing and pattern design, and I've been aching to find someone to share my passion with!
I'm a beginner when it comes to sewing, I've been at it for about 1 year, but in this time I've learned so much it feel like I've been sewing my whole life!
I love patterns and pattern design, but I've never sewn from a comercial pattern. I figured that if I'm gonna sew for myself, might as well learn to make things that fit me like a glove so I invested a lot of time in learning how to draft my own sloper and how to make fitting adjustments and pattern alterations. But because I'm such a perfectionist, I keep making changes to my sloper because it's never good enough :D So instead of making clothes, I make muslins.
Can't wait to meet you all :)

Vegegrow

Re: Greetings from Romania :)
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 17:03:03 PM »
Welcome to the forum Jo.. wow impressed with you starting  with pattern cutting .. something I've never done although I've put a few different patterns together to make one... hope you enjoy the forum grab a  :drink: and have a wander round.. :)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 18:31:24 PM by Vegegrow »
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

maliw

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 17:17:07 PM »
Hello and welcome, hope you enjoy being one of us.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Surest1tch

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 17:46:07 PM »
Hi Jo, welcome from Yorkshire.

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 17:49:11 PM »
Welcome to TSP. :flower:

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Jo

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 17:55:23 PM »
Thank you everyone! :) Glad to be here.
I did a number of things that were way too advanced for me, only because I had no idea they were advanced  :D. Happy to say it all turned out well in the end, with a lot of learning in the process!

Marniesews

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 18:03:14 PM »
Hi Jo, welcome from me too.

Interesting to hear about your experience in learning pattern cutting. I've bought video classes and books and am do more learning than doing at the moment. I have to admit, it's just so much easier to use my new knowledge to change the style of patterns that I've already altered to fit but I really must get down to drafting from scratch before too long.

Why not review your muslins? There may well be some that are wearable and only need dyeing to be worthy of your wardrobe.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 18:11:00 PM »
Welcome ... at last  :D
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Jo

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 18:25:16 PM »
I also seem to be doing a lot more learning then sewing :) Just ordered a few books on fitting and pattern drafting, I'm so excited to get them.
My muslins will never make it to my wardrobe. Mostly because they're made of such a fussy cotton that wrinkles even when I look at it. Too much trouble!
Iminei, thank you! :) I must admit, the automatic response threw me off a bit when I tried to register for the first time. I didn't realise it was an auto-response and took the line "Please reply to confirm which fields interest you within our forum." a bit wrong. Alas, blonde moment over, glad to be past that.

Catllar

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 20:43:52 PM »
Hello and welcome from me  - nice to meet you!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Lowena

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 21:01:58 PM »
Welcome from me too. I have been to Romania twice. I stayed in Craiova
Triumph of hope over experience :D

b15erk

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 21:45:21 PM »
A big welcome from me too!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Jo

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 22:30:36 PM »
Thank you all! :) I'm so happy to receive such a warm welcome.
Lowena, that's awesome! I have some relatives there, but I live a bit more to the north (about 700km more  :D). I do hope you liked it, though it's not exactly a wonderful country :)

Lilian

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2017, 22:51:21 PM »
Hi Jo, welcome from me too - enjoy yourself here, lots to see and do!  :)  :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

violetpastille

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2017, 02:29:29 AM »
Hello! Welcome!