The Sewing Place

The blue cardigan disaster

twopence

Re: The blue cardigan disaster
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2021, 13:13:45 PM »
I think that I still have boucle if anyone wants to give it another go. Not sure I have a pattern though.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2021, 18:31:32 PM »
There still are machine knitting shows, in Bournemouth and Nottingham, but not last year, and who knows if they'll continue.  There seem to be a lot of people on facebook groups either getting old machines out again or buying one, maybe it will make a comeback.

Greybird

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2021, 11:24:16 AM »
@Bodgeitandscarper I found the gadget that warns when a knot is approaching where it shouldn't, on Ebay. I'm afraid I've bought it(!) but it's called a Not-a-knot and it rings a bell when a knot hits it. I have found this:

http://www.b-hague.co.uk/Tricot%20Products.htm

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2021, 12:03:37 PM »
Thanks, @Greybird  :)
Err  have we seen any of your knitting yet?  :P

Greybird

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2021, 12:22:29 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper - only the grey tunic thing. I am still having some problems I'm afraid. I got some nice cashmere and merino yarn and happily knitted the back of a jumper. Then, when it came off the machine, I realised that it was far too long (as was the grey one but I just thought I'd drawn it too long). I think the paper sheet isn't feeding through the Knitradar properly. Not sure what to do about it - I need the right frame of mind to sit down and sort out what's going on without getting demoralised!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2021, 12:48:22 PM »
@Greybird I had trouble with the knitleader on my Brother 881 not feeding properly.  Ended up taking two or three screws out, lifting the mechanism out and lubricating any moving parts, worked well afterwards, and easy enough to do. 

Greybird

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2021, 14:22:43 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper problem is, there are no screws! The Knitradar is built into the machine and is just a slot in the plastic piece that runs along the back of the machine also encompassing the row counter. I expect it does come off somehow but I dare not try it in case the whole plastic piece breaks. I could dribble some oil into the slot I suppose but I have no idea what is under it. I think I will have to "knit" a whole piece without any yarn and watch to see to what extent the paper isn't moving.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2021, 16:36:37 PM »
@Greybird Nooo, don't put oil in the slot!  What machine do you have, I can't remember?

Is this video of any use? Linky

It's not til about 4 minutes into the video that it shows how to take the cover off!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 16:45:12 PM by Bodgeitandscarper »

Kenora

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2021, 17:20:28 PM »
I believe I might have the skirt-steaming kit somewhere - can't remember if it is In-Ex though. Have been wondering what to do with it each time I come across it. I'll have to dig it out again. I used to make pleated skirts with it - they were so comfortable to wear. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Greybird

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2021, 23:16:45 PM »
Ooh that looks useful @Bodgeitandscarper ! Thank you. Mine is a Knitmaster 700 which looks like the straight equivalent of the Singer one on your link. It does look a bit different though - mine is from 1984-5 so might be a bit older. If I'm feeling brave tomorrow I'll have a go at taking off the punchcard cover and see if the Knitradar one does come off. Where it looks different is the bit at the extreme left - mine is all-in-one - not with the cover fitting into a separate bit. I don't think I have the same problem with the broken bit that he did because mine is moving if erratically. I,m wondering if, like the carriage, it's simply stiff with lack of use. Also, I wouldn't be able to insert a screwdriver in the front like he did - there just isn't room for it.

I do like how she told him off for getting his hand in the way!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2021, 09:21:38 AM »
@Greybird another thing you could try is a gentle warming with a hair dryer on any moving parts - the old grease tends to solidify over time, so warming it melts it  :)

Greybird

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2021, 10:38:25 AM »
@Bodgeitandscarper I haven't yet sat down to attempt surgery on my 700 - got involved with the curtains again, something of a marathon in my current state of lethargy. I am going to try your suggestion of the hairdryer first and see what happens. My Not-a-Knot arrived broken! OH is superglueing it but I'm not sure it will stay stuck. It actually has a bell on it that rings if a knot hits it.

Elnnina

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2021, 11:40:47 AM »
Greybird and Bodgeitandscarper there was an alternative name for the little gadget that alerts you to a knot and  this was known as a Ding-a-ling.  I have one somewhere, but if you are using one, you need to have this in place on your mast before you knit your tension square, as this puts a certain amount of drag on the yarn as the yarn passes through to the tension discs  and through the top and on down to the machine.