The Sewing Place

Catching up

sewmuchmore

Catching up
« on: January 15, 2021, 17:40:35 PM »
I have been a bit remiss of late showing you what i have made, rather than bore you with everything here is a selection.
2 chairs recovered in conservatory (or as window cleaner refers to it "the lean to").
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

The blue ripped denim dress is B6241, a pattern that has been in and out of the charity bag too many time to count as i thought there may be too much fabric for my liking and a bit clingy. Anyway decided to make it from the sweatshirt fabric bought originally to make the Toaster sweater, yet to be made. The fabric is really a bit heavy for the design of the pockets and they didn't drape so i have put some pleats in. AND I LOVE IT. Despite the reservations this is a resounding success, but don't look too closely at the zip, not he best i have done. I like it so much i have made another but waiting for a zip to arrive.
The snakeskin is B5523 which i think is now out of print. I have made this dress loads of time, although designed for stretch i have only ever made it in woven until now. The fabric was from Textile Centre and has been languishing in my stash for a few years. Although a stretch fabric the snakeskin pattern itself is cotton.
The hat is a vogue pattern and is actually very dark navy blue in colour, not a lot to say, very easy and quick to make.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

BriarRose

Re: Catching up
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 17:47:07 PM »
 :thumbsup:
It's just fabric. We can out-think it.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 17:49:44 PM »
The one that didn't work.
Style Arc Lizzie Wrap
What can i say, horrible horrible horrible. The line drawing of the pattern gives the impression that it has shoulder seams. It doesn't. It is basically just a rectangle with a bit of shaping and 2 hole for the arms. It doesn't drape like it is supposed to and i used a very expensive piece of boiled wool that is now wasted. I have been desperately trying to find a solution to fix it but nothing is working. Glad i didn't get round to doing the welt pockets.

Janet

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 18:39:24 PM »
Love the dresses.. and that hat. I want a hat!

It's a shame your wrap didn't turn out how you wanted. Your boiled wool is a beautiful colour. Can you salvage it?

Vezelay

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 20:34:33 PM »
Great makes @sewmuchmore, just shame about the wrap - that lovely fabric. The hat looks like Vogue 9044 style C, or is it B? I've plans to make one of those, definitely now I've seen yours :).

Acorn

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 20:44:56 PM »
What a shame about that lovely wrap!  Could you put (big!) darts in from the shoulders to the neck?
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 20:49:23 PM »
I'd put the wrap inside out on your Dolly and make some seams/darts to sit on the shoulders.

UttaRetch

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2021, 08:53:17 AM »
@sewmuchmore, I would let StyleArc knew about that wrap.  Their illustrations did not translate to the finished garment.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2021, 09:41:14 AM »
@Vezelay it is indeed the Vogue view c.
@UttaRetch i have indeed let Style Arc know, that is my review on the website, lots of issues with the pattern as well.
@Bodgeitandscarper i have been playing around with that but there just doesn't seem to be the space above the armholes to get a decent shape.

Janet

UttaRetch

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2021, 10:06:31 AM »
Just read your review.  What was StyleArc's response?

Vezelay

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2021, 10:43:33 AM »
Just thinking that fabric would make a(nother) lovely hat!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2021, 11:10:24 AM »
there is a review here.

Yours looks nothing like either hers or the pattern's picture though  :S

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2021, 15:16:41 PM »
I've just realised I have Butterick 6241, I may have to make one up, as I love the way you've pleated your pockets.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2021, 18:20:35 PM »
Just read your review.  What was StyleArc's response?

A big fat nothing, i am surprised the review is still there because in the past when i have criticised  their drafting they have not published or have taken it down the next day. I have now stopped buying from them as i have yet to have a pattern that is right i.e. collar bands too small, notches do not match, pattern pieces not numbered correctly etc. Not major issues if you are an experienced sewer but rather confusing for less experienced.

@Bodgeitandscarper I did read this review but after i had started my wrap (i did also leave a comment) and my first thought was "are we using the same pattern".
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 18:24:46 PM by sewmuchmore »

Janet

Tamnymore

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2021, 20:31:45 PM »
Lovely makes but I agree the wrap is nothing like the Stylearc drawings. Hmm.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde