The Sewing Place

Next project

sewmuchmore

Next project
« on: January 15, 2021, 17:56:39 PM »
The Style Arc Casey coat, I have had to pattern and fabric for a couple of months but now Spring is approaching  ;) i think it is time to start. I have got as far as taking a photo and cannot decide which zip to go with, yellow or grey?
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Lemon Syllabub

Re: Next project
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 18:25:56 PM »
Love the fabric. It's really cute.
Yellow or grey? Mmm not sure. Looking forward to seeing which one you choose.

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 18:26:51 PM »
I would go with grey, but the yellow is very striking.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

nototie

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 02:13:42 AM »
That fabric is really nice. I think the gray zipper matches a bit better.

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2021, 10:33:54 AM »
Yes the grey zip.  I'm not a big fan of contrasting zips.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

SingingSinger

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2021, 10:37:04 AM »
I'd go with the yellow zip as it's such a fun fabric  :D
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

Greybird

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2021, 10:41:25 AM »
Grey. The yellow is nice but the grey is more wearable.

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2021, 10:56:25 AM »
Yellow, such fun
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2021, 11:07:30 AM »
Another vote for yellow.  Is there scope for any other yellow "accents"?  Binding? Pocket edges? 

Edit:  Just looked at the pattern - yellow top stitching?  That would look great with the yellow zip.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 11:09:06 AM by Bodgeitandscarper »

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2021, 11:44:57 AM »
Personally, I like the grey, but then go with yellow accents as Bodge says.

Lovely fabric...

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2021, 12:15:32 PM »
I quite like the yellow.  As the fabric is a fun one I think it works well. 

Gernella

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2021, 13:31:08 PM »
That fabric, crying out for yellow.  I don't normally like yellow but a  zip in yellow would win every time for me.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

sewmuchmore

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2021, 15:59:17 PM »
Well spent a couple of hours today cutting out pattern and fabric, my brain hurts from getting the pattern match, reminder to self, stick to plain fabric.
Another Style Arc pattern that has errors, tells you to cut 2 collars but you only need one, pattern pieces that go together but notches either do not match or are absent on one piece. I might be wrong but the more i look at the facings the more convinced i am they are the wrong way.

Janet

mudcat

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2021, 22:06:07 PM »
I'm sorry you're having errors in SA @sewmuchmore ... I've yet to have a drafting error in mine.  I don't generally follow their instructions though ... just take a look at the drawing and do my own preferred methods.  I did have one top that had a missing notch for the sleeve (the part that should match at the shoulder seam) but otherwise they've all been fine. I wonder if it's an issue with their grading of different sizes.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2021, 09:45:50 AM »
@mudcat i generally don't follow instructions but i do read through them before i start, as i mentioned else were the issues i have with SA are not major and as an experienced sewer they are not a problem but for the inexperienced they could be confusing. Plus even though i don't need the notches etc i expect them to be right, after all i am paying good money for the patterns. It does make me wonder if SA has pattern testers?

Janet