The Sewing Place

Hand sewn wardrobe via Alabama Studio Sewing Patterns

BrendaP

Re: Re: Hand sewn wardrobe via Alabama Studio BUT Not the unfinished versions!
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2021, 21:39:33 PM »
Just to say, many of the models in the book wear some truly appalling outfits (especially footwear!) and I can’t understand how anyone can like the messy look of the knots on the outside, or unfinished edges.

I agree, one of the books is about fit and some of the garments are an appalling fit on the wearers.  Also sleevless summer tops worn with heavy winter boots, and ankle socks where one is falling down and the other isn't ....

The outside knots, IMO, goes along with ripped jeans.  Why on earth would anyone deliberately rip new jeans?
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Goth Gardiner

Re: Hand sewn wardrobe via Alabama Studio Sewing Patterns
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2021, 21:58:40 PM »
I would just love to re-produce some of the embellishments (and I think @Aunty Stitches has done some lovely stitching), but I don't know which book to buy.

I don't need all the patterns as I've got things that I have self drafted and/or tweaked for years.  But I would like the outlines for the reverse appliques, and the grids for the stitches.

Can anyone who has the books suggest which one (not ones hopefully) I need?
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

Aunty Stitches

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2021, 22:37:23 PM »
I would just love to re-produce some of the embellishments (and I think @Aunty Stitches has done some lovely stitching), but I don't know which book to buy.

I don't need all the patterns as I've got things that I have self drafted and/or tweaked for years.  But I would like the outlines for the reverse appliques, and the grids for the stitches.

Can anyone who has the books suggest which one (not ones hopefully) I need?

The grids are in “The geometry of hand sewing” by Natalie Chanin (£12.95 from the book depository with free shipping). It has two clear Mylar sheets with multiple grids.

The A line tunic and bolero are the Magdalena stencil, the Swing skirt and Classic Cardigan were done with New Leaves, both included in the book you don’t need!

You can buy the stencils direct from Alabama Studio online, then download, print, assemble and trace them onto A1 or XL Mylar (from the stencil studio) then cut them out with a heat pen. I have bought two more from them.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I have cut stencils before, so I already had a heat pen and heatproof cutting board! If you try this with a knife it is very hard work and very hard to get good curves.

Then you need to buy fabric paint, which I water down up to 50% to make one 2oz bottle do a whole garment.! I used an old kitchen scourer sponge for the tunic, then treated myself to a foam roller.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I didn’t say it a was quick or simple process to prepare.... then there is the embellishment and hand sewn construction.... this is why the finished garments fetch such high prices in the states.

As I said, I was overwhelmed when I watched the Craftsy course, but you just have to take it one step at a time!

« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 22:50:43 PM by Aunty Stitches »

Tamnymore

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2021, 22:38:36 PM »
Wow. Lovely!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

BrendaP

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2021, 22:38:54 PM »
I have the first book 'Alabama Stitch Book' which has one card stencil and several printed images to be enlarged.  It also has info about how to work reverse applique and the different stitches.  This is probably the one you want.  Making stencil designs isn't really that difficult, I'm sure you can find lots of similar things online.

I also have 'Alabama Studio Sewing Patterns' which includes the patterns and five stencils as images on CD (three of them are just polka dots.  It's also the one which shows so many things which are badly fitting and poorly finished, but with lots of potential.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.