The Sewing Place

Hand sewn wardrobe via Alabama Studio Sewing Patterns

Aunty Stitches

Hand sewn wardrobe via Alabama Studio Sewing Patterns
« on: January 16, 2021, 18:41:11 PM »
Back in 2013 I bought Natalie Chanin’s on-line Craftsy Course “Hand-Embellishing Knit Fabric: Stenciling, Appliqué, Beading and Embroidery”. I watched it and looked at the Vogue pattern that came in the post, and decided it was all too much. Apart from anything else the jacket would require 6 metres of fabric to make!

Then in lockdown I watched her new video (as it was free at the time) and got re-enthused! I bought her book “Alabama Studio Sewing Patterns” as it has ALL her previous patterns in, plus some new ones AND a couple of stencils all on a cd, and I started my hand sewn wardrobe. (P.S. I have cut my own stencils before, and if you want to try it message me for the best equipment!)

I have made knit clothes before, the best being the Baby Doll dress from the “Sew-U Home Stretch” book by Wendy Mullein, but I have to say I found the hand sewn version very relaxing. I have now made the A line tunic, the Classic Cardigan, the Swing Skirt and the Bolero, all between July and October 2020.

I have now gone on and used one of my self-drafted patterns (from another Craftsy Course, “Pattern drafting from ready-to-wear”) and sewn a tunic top by hand. I just find it more enjoyable that using my machines, and quite strong and stable enough to withstand being pulled on and off over my head!

And it looks fab!

« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 19:01:30 PM by Aunty Stitches »

Efemera

Re: Hand sewn wardrobe via Alabama Studio Sewing Patterns
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 18:50:50 PM »
Wow... hand sewn. That’s quite a project.

CCL

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 19:04:50 PM »
These are all beautiful - if you ever tire of it, you can send that gorgeous tunic and bolero to me!

I also love hand sewing, but having never made an entire garment by hand (well, except doll's clothes when I was very young!), I am in awe.
A hodge podge Flickr record of my sewing project albums here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/104062052@N04/albums

Aunty Stitches

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 19:20:47 PM »
These are all beautiful - if you ever tire of it, you can send that gorgeous tunic and bolero to me!

I also love hand sewing, but having never made an entire garment by hand (well, except doll's clothes when I was very young!), I am in awe.

I could send it to you, but it might not fit!  :facepalm:

I found the whole process soothing, and it did seem to come together a lot quicker than I expected. I dare not wear any of it until the puppy is a bit more mature.

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 21:55:51 PM »
I love the reverse applique.  Its on my 'might get round to it one day' list.
Life's too short for ironing.

mudcat

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 22:14:30 PM »
The items are wonderful.  I applaud your ability. 

I can't hand sew at all as it hurts too much.  I have a hard time even writing for more than a few minutes.  Weak wrist from too many years of the mouse.  I have the Studio book and was thinking doing it by machine but haven't gotten around to it.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 22:23:30 PM by mudcat »

sewmuchmore

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2021, 17:08:22 PM »
Love the skirt, how long does it take to make a garment?
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Aunty Stitches

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2021, 17:46:05 PM »
Love the skirt, how long does it take to make a garment?

According to my Instagram feed I started on 28th August and finished on 15th September. Remember I am at home full time, no kids, and keen. That said, we don’t get up very early!

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2021, 11:43:39 AM »
Two substantial books arrived yesterday; the first one with techniques and the pattern book with the CDs.

Whilst I love the look of the reverse applique and beading I'm not sure about the unfinished look of hems just cut and left raw, nor am I keen on the knots on the outside.

I have plans brewing (and :fabric: ordered  0_0 ) for something with all the hand embellishing but constructed with the overlocker.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2021, 11:54:00 AM »
I think we had a member from Ireland some time ago who did a lot of Alabama Chenin (?) techniques.

Yours looks absolutely fab @Aunty Stitches  - by hand too!  Such patience!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Aunty Stitches

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2021, 12:08:49 PM »
Two substantial books arrived yesterday; the first one with techniques and the pattern book with the CDs.

Whilst I love the look of the reverse applique and beading I'm not sure about the unfinished look of hems just cut and left raw, nor am I keen on the knots on the outside.

I have plans brewing (and :fabric: ordered  0_0 ) for something with all the hand embellishing but constructed with the overlocker.

Me too! I do all mine with the knots inside, and I add binding to all my hems.

.... I have added more pics in the gallery
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 13:01:00 PM by Aunty Stitches »

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2021, 18:36:00 PM »
@Aunty Stitches your work looks great.  I hope I can get mine to look half as good.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 18:38:27 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Aunty Stitches

Re: Hand sewn wardrobe via Alabama Studio BUT Not the unfinished versions!
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2021, 18:47:53 PM »
Just to say, many of the models in the book wear some truly appalling outfits (especially footwear!) and I can’t understand how anyone can like the messy look of the knots on the outside, or unfinished edges.

My choices are always for the knots inside, the seams inside AND felled, and I add the neckline binding to all the hems. If anything sticks out where I don’t like it I bury it!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I also couldn’t bear to use fold-over elastic as there was no way to get a colour match. So on my Swing skirt I hand sewed a length of clear elastic on instead, zig-zagging a running stitch to hold it in place. Then I bound the edge to match the hem binding I had added. It seems to be working just fine!

To ensure good stitches when sewing the binding on, I used the templates from Natalie Chanin’s book “The Geometry of Hand Sewing” and a very fine chalk pen (the Prym extra fine cartridge pencil) to mark the stitches. If you look carefully you can see dots I didn’t need for my choice of stitch round the Cardigan neckline.

Hand sewing them together is actually quite fast, they are simple constructions and I use a running stitch. Felling the seams strengthens them as well as looking good.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 18:53:20 PM by Aunty Stitches »

SkoutSews

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2021, 20:13:39 PM »
Beautiful work, very impressive. It's way beyond my capabilities.

Acorn

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2021, 20:32:43 PM »
I really, really love that - and I'm absolutely with you both ( @Aunty Stitches and @BrendaP ) on needing to have a good quality finish.

Now I'm wondering whether I have enough time to try and fit in another set of projects...   :thinking:               
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.