The Sewing Place

FeatherWeight making an Awful racket

Lace

Re: FeatherWeight making an Awful racket
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2021, 10:05:28 AM »
@Lace,I've only just seen your reply, and thank you so much for it. It's good to have the name of a reliable 'fixer', I think I may need to use his services before very long. :'(

b15erk Have you actually joined the FB Group? Singer Featherweights UK? Not sure if I mentioned that the Admin is also the main UK resource/fixer for FWs.  At any rate even if you don't want to send your machine to him you could post in the Group for some help from 803 members, most of whom have one if not more FWS each. He's not just about wiring; he found a broken metal piece in my machine and fixed it. He organises collection and delivery so it was quite easy. I am not permitted to post links here as I am still 'new' but there is also a VSSMUK FB Group of 4.1K members, another Admin who is a resource/fixer. Since my very bad experience with a local shop, (which opened when FWs were still being manufactured) I would only use a recognised service shop - hence my suggestions about the FB Groups. Good luck!  :)
Formerly at The Sewing Forum. Singer 12K, two 28Ks, 66K, 99K, four 201Ks, 221K, two drawing room cabinets, and Bernina Sport. All dating from 1891 to 1981.

b15erk

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2021, 10:19:11 AM »
@LeilaMay , you are right, tbh, I wish I'd left her in her box.  I haven't done anything different but put plenty of oil on things, strip the bobbin area, and give it a good cleaning.  I've obviously disturbed something, as I can't get the shaft to do a full turn, to tighten the second screw...

@Lace , yes I joined the FW group, and had a FB discussion with a lovely chap who seemed very knowledgeable - unfortunately , he's Canadian, so a bit too far to send my machine... :facepalm:  I feel a bit embarrassed to raise the same issue again, when no-one seemed able to help - especially as I seem to have made matters worse...

As LeilaMay says, I think it may be time to re-construct the FW so that all the bits are together if not working, and put her in her box again, until I feel able to send her away...

My problem I think, is that the FW looks like very simple engineering, and I've been a bit Gung Ho. I didn't reckon on things being so finely balanced that I may have disturbed something. YouTube has a lot to answer for!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lace

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2021, 10:30:56 AM »
@

@Lace , yes I joined the FW group, and had a FB discussion with a lovely chap who seemed very knowledgeable - unfortunately , he's Canadian, so a bit too far to send my machine... :facepalm:  I feel a bit embarrassed to raise the same issue again, when no-one seemed able to help - especially as I seem to have made matters worse...

Jessie I don't know who you are talking about; you are right about Canada.  Is it the Singer Featherweights UK Group you joined? I am not permitted to post links here and I can't find your name amongst the members there, but then I don't know what name you have used - Jessie or b15erk.  So I can't respond to your posts there. I'm Mary Hayward and you can find me if you search the FW Group members.  I am only here as Lace because it was my TSF name. You just need to message to Phil Enstone, the Admin. He will tell you how to pack the machine. He uses his own courier as well. Is there a reason you are wary of sending your machine away? We are just trying to help from our own experiences. If you read the posts at the FB Group you will see that lots of other people have sent their machines to Phil.  :)
Formerly at The Sewing Forum. Singer 12K, two 28Ks, 66K, 99K, four 201Ks, 221K, two drawing room cabinets, and Bernina Sport. All dating from 1891 to 1981.

b15erk

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2021, 10:37:22 AM »
@Lace , I've just checked and I'm in the wrong group, Featherweight Friends is the one I belong to.  I will head over to FB now and see if I can sign up to the UK one.

Thank you so much for your help!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lace

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2021, 10:46:42 AM »
@Lace , I've just checked and I'm in the wrong group, Featherweight Friends is the one I belong to.  I will head over to FB now and see if I can sign up to the UK one.

Just PM me when you are there Jessie.  Search the Members. It might be a few days. PS Have you seen how many FWs LeilaMay has? Incredible!  :loveit:

LeilaMay

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2021, 10:58:42 AM »
I just thought that some people are mechanically-minded, and some are not. If a machine needs work on it - it is easier if it hasn't been messed around with too much, the more you undo the more things will need setting right  :)
Good luck with it  :vintage:

b15erk

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2021, 11:01:49 AM »
@Lace , I've just signed up now, so hopefully, I'll hear something soon. I know LeilaMay has a lot of machines, I didn't know she had multiple FW's!

I have quite a few vintage machines, most of which I keep at work, and I feel comfortable tinkering with them, up to now I've had no mishaps.  The FW was a step too far though...  It got me!

Just as I was getting to use it regularly too.  I did bring a 185k home from work to use instead - but I'd forgotten the foot pedal! :S

Atm I'm using the Bernina 730, which I'm slowly making friends with, and the Singer 611g, which I love - especially for buttonholes.

Jessie

LeilaMay

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2021, 11:03:16 AM »
I have four, I am very fortunate. But three were bargains, sold dirty and in one case with missing wiring, and I knew I could fix them so I chanced it. The white was pricey though :)

b15erk

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2021, 11:07:39 AM »
@LeilaMay , I must admit I've been casting my eye over a few very fetching white FW's - but the prices are daft!

I thought I'd paid a lot for my FW at £100, but when I see the prices they are now selling at, it's eye watering! 

When I bought it, I didn't think I would like sewing with it as much as I have - and then I went and broke it! :S

Jessie

Lace

« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2021, 11:57:35 AM »
I just thought that some people are mechanically-minded, and some are not.

So very true LeilaMay.  I am very much the latter. Got all my machines in near perfect condition a decade ago and don't adjust anything on them apart from what is in the manual.  I have four that I have never sewn on.  I really am just a collector and very happy with my ten.  :laughing:

toileandtrouble

« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2021, 12:21:52 PM »
@b15erk  When you put the bobbin area back, did you get the 'finger' in the groove before you replaced the stitch plate.  I remember a strong warning to make sure of that when you reassemble  I found a FW service manual online.  a lot of pages, but just print out the section you are interested in.  Hope you can fix it.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

b15erk

« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2021, 13:05:34 PM »
@toileandtrouble , yes I've done that, and I don't think I can do any more without making things worse as LeilaMay suggested.  I found, and printed off a service manual, so I'll have a look at that.

I've also joined a UK FB group now (thanks @Lace) and fingers crossed I will either get some help there, or send my FW away to be fixed...

It's frustrating as I don't believe that much has gone wrong with her. :S

Jessie

jesster

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2021, 15:21:22 PM »
One thing to consider - the feed dog movement is controlled by the stitch length regulator.  Fewer stitches per inch means they move a longer distance and vice versa.  Video.  Is there any possible clue here?   :thinking:

b15erk

« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2021, 15:27:18 PM »
@jesster , thank you for that.  I'm going upstairs now so will check it out. 

I'm armed with my service manual, and my camera, fingers crossed I can at least get it back together...

Jessie

jesster

« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2021, 15:48:25 PM »
Good luck with it  :)   I have a white FW that's given me fits because it won't hold a stitch length and insists on doing the smallest possible stitch.  Repairman #1 was unsuccessful in solving it for more than the length of 1 seam and has since retired.  Looking for repairman #2...