The Sewing Place

FeatherWeight making an Awful racket

LeilaMay

Re: FeatherWeight making an Awful racket
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2021, 12:16:15 PM »
@BrendaP , it's the first time I've had a problem, I just wish I had more knowledge...

The FW isn't actually a complex mechanism, but figuring out this problem is giving me a headache.  :facepalm:

Jessie

I'm guessing the issue still isn't solved Jessie? I am sorry.
I would highly recommend all the tutorials from the Featherweight Sewing Shop - there is all you need to know there - I have rewired a machine and restored one that came in bits using their information.

Do let us know how you get on - it would increase my knowledge of possible problems once you know what it is if you would share.

Best wishes to you
leila

b15erk

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2021, 12:18:11 PM »
@LeilaMay , I'm seriously thinking about the feed dogs, and wondering if they could have been damaged somehow.

I left the needle plate off, and turned the handwheel so that I could see what was going on, and the needle plate is lifting at the back, then when I complete the turn, it drops back.  I've attached a picture.

Jessie

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

LeilaMay

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2021, 12:21:19 PM »
It has to be something to do with the feed dogs then - there is nothing else under there that moves in that way.
You checked the dogs were screwed down tightly?
And that the plate is in the right position?
 :thinking:

b15erk

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2021, 12:22:24 PM »
@LeilaMay , I think we have cross posted!

I joined the FB FW group, and tried all of their suggestions, but nothing has changed.  I'm still waiting for a reply from the Featherweight Shop, so may get some help there.

I'm now wondering if it may be a quicker solution, to buy a ruffler for either the Singer 611g or the Bernina 730...

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2021, 12:24:43 PM »
@LeilaMay , plate is correct, but doesn't drop in easily, I need to wiggle it.  I cleaned the feed dogs, so I know they are fine, but wondering if something has shifted with all the pulling about I've been doing...

Jessie

LeilaMay

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2021, 12:31:50 PM »
Okay :) Well do let me now what they say. I could disassemble one of mine to try and replicate the problem you have, but I've something else on my little work table at the moment and I'd get in a heck of mess LOL

The feed dogs do connect the main rotating mechanism underneath the machine -  It is possible that they are somehow slipped out of place or lose on the shaft, I will see if I can locate a lesson that includes that bit.

b15erk

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2021, 12:33:58 PM »
@LeilaMay , thank you so much for your help and encouragement, it is very much appreciated.  I'm giving it one more day, then I'll have to put it away for a while.

Jessie

LeilaMay

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2021, 12:34:13 PM »
I'm going to watch this - it includes a whole section where he is underneath the machine and adjusting the dogs - this may help point the problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiawmtFpzkM

b15erk

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2021, 13:40:10 PM »
@LeilaMay , I've just watched this all the way through, and I think the problem may be that the feed dogs have been slightly disturbed and are not clearing the slots...  The description came right at the end and it started ringing bells with me.  I do hope it's an easy adjustment and that I don't need to replace the feed dogs...

Thank you for all your help, I will report back... ;)

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2021, 19:40:51 PM »
@LeilaMay , I think I've found the problem!  Don't know how it's happened, but the feed dogs are coming too far forward, and lifting the needle plate on the way up.  I've added a close up picture, and you can see the front teeth of the feed dogs catching the underside of the needle plate.

No idea how to fix it, as I can't get the feed dogs off - they are screwed down solid. 

So, she will return to her box, until I find someone locally who can fix her.  :( :'(

At least now I know what is causing the problem.

Many, many thanks for your help.

Jessie

LeilaMay

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2021, 20:14:24 PM »
Well I'm glad you've at least got an idea what's happening now.
The 'up and down' motion of the dogs is controlled by the central rotating shaft under the machine, and the backwards and forwards motion by controlled by one of the bars underneath the machine. It is probably best to get someone qualified to fix it for you if you're not confident. Hopefully it should be a fairly straightforward fix, and you'll soon have it back.

Best of luck with it.

?Will the ruffler you have fit on the other Singer machine you mentioned? It might do?

b15erk

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2021, 20:23:12 PM »
@LeilaMay , yes it's going in the box tonight.  I haven't got the right tools to unscrew the feed dogs, and no idea how the under mechanism works...  I can only think I've knocked it out of whack when I've been sorting the bobin area...

I've got a few rufflers but they are all low shank, so I haven't even got one to fit the 611g which is a slant shank.  I'm going to ask OH to bring either the 99k or the 185k home, either one will do the job.

This is all because I want to make a ruffley blouse and my usual method is too long winded  :laughing: :laughing: I could have made 2 frilly blouses in the time this has taken!! :headbang: :boohoo:

Thank you for all your help.

Jessie

Lace

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2021, 14:13:08 PM »
@LeilaMay .............

So, she will return to her box, until I find someone locally who can fix her.  :( :'( 

@LeilaMay .............

So, she will return to her box, until I find someone locally who can fix her.  :( :'(...........

I see that you joined the FB group. Have you thought about sending your machine to Philip Enstone?  Has your's been completely rewired? I had mine serviced in Edinburgh in October; it came back with no recommendation for a re-wire in spite of the fact that it is strongly recommended now because the original 1960s wiring is no longer safe.  I  checked the wiring and found an exposed area where the old fabric insulation had worn away. And you may know that this is important because the wiring is internal on this model. The wires were also covered in oil which degrades the insulation and after two months it was still dripping from the needle tip.  I posted mine just over a week ago, after getting advice. They are relatively easy to pack and transport and courier collection and delivery is organised by Philip. My machine has had a thorough cleaning, rewiring and service, plus the case has been mended and I feel a lot more confident in using it.  For me it was a good investment, especially since in my experience it can be hard to find a good service engineer for vintage machines.
Formerly at The Sewing Forum. Singer 12K, two 28Ks, 66K, 99K, four 201Ks, 221K, two drawing room cabinets, and Bernina Sport. All dating from 1891 to 1981.

b15erk

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2021, 09:40:58 AM »
@Lace,I've only just seen your reply, and thank you so much for it. It's good to have the name of a reliable 'fixer', I think I may need to use his services before very long. :'(

My Featherweight doesn't seem to have wiring issues, it's more to do with the internal workings ie the shaft, and the feed dogs.

I found some more tutorials the other day, and took her out of her box to see if I could have another tinker.  Unfortunately, I seem to have made matters worse, and now the shaft will only do a half turn.

I checked the timing, that seems OK, and the height of the feed dogs, but they still seem to be coming too far forward, and lifting the needle plate on the return.

It is now de-constructed on the sewing table, waiting for a rainy day, for me to either have another go, or pack it away again.  :'(

Jessie

LeilaMay

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2021, 10:04:17 AM »
I don't want to appear rude, but I would honestly stop now. If you can't recognize what the mechanical problem is, you're probably going to make it better not worse.
Get it to the recommended repair man if you can - the featherweight shop have a tutorial on how to pack the machine safely for transit i needed.
 <3