The Sewing Place

Beaded Lace Wedding Shawl

charlotte

Beaded Lace Wedding Shawl
« on: January 18, 2021, 17:57:11 PM »
I don't normally post about my knitting projects here, but I might need a hand hold with this one!!

As well as sewing my wedding dress, six bridesmaids' outfits and 35+ metres of bunting, I have decided I need a huge beaded lace pi shawl for my wedding next year. Assuming we're allowed out and about again at some point before then, it should be a good portable project - although maybe not one for the bus!

The pattern is the Heliotaxis pi shawl by Renata Brenner and the yarn is Fyberspates Scrumptious Lace in magenta.

I've got some purpley glass beads on the way, so I've marked all the bead placement on the pattern, cast on and knit to my first bead round.

Efemera

Re: Beaded Lace Wedding Shawl
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 18:38:23 PM »
Ohh... that looks very complicated... love to see it when it’s done.

charlotte

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 19:20:47 PM »
Ohh... that looks very complicated... love to see it when it’s done.

Check back in w/c 21st February 2022, when I will be frantically trying to get it blocked the week of the wedding. :D

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 22:02:43 PM »
Check back in w/c 21st February 2022, when I will be frantically trying to get it blocked the week of the wedding. :D

At least you know thats likely. How much of the other wedding projects are finished?

You are far braver (or crazier) than most of us. Best wishes getting it all done.  :flower:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Ellabella

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 23:56:30 PM »
Apart from wondering why you wanted a halitosis shawl, I am in awe. It is absolutely beautiful.

You are really taking a lot on but it must give you so much satisfaction to know your wedding will be so personal.

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 07:52:27 AM »
Wow.  I have ventured into lace knitting just once and it was a pretty basic scarf pattern.  I have utmost respect for you tackling this.  I will follow your progress and cheer you on from the sidelines.
Life's too short for ironing.

Celia

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2021, 10:11:43 AM »
I am in a lace mode at the moment but nothing at beautiful as yours, please post photos along the way as I can’t wait a whole year to see this, it is fabulous

charlotte

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2021, 12:03:33 PM »

How much of the other wedding projects are finished?

Hahahahaha!

Well I have made and sent out my Save the Dates.

Underbodice is finished on my dress and I have a week booked off in May to do the skirt and the train.

Half the bunting fabric has gone to my mum and dad (Dad will do the cutting, Mum the sewing)

Bridesmaids are waiting until summer/autumn when I can hopefully see (maybe even measure) them, plus currently pregnant bridesmaid will be 3+ months postpartum by then.

But to be honest, as long as I get some sort of invites out, get my dress done, and make the bridesmaids skirts (very easy gathered tulle rectangles with grosgrain waistbands), nothing else is vital. (Bridesmaids can have RTW camisoles - I won't make them go topless!!)

b15erk

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2021, 12:10:56 PM »
That looks beautiful @charlotte , I really love lace knitting - but my brain doesn't.  Look forward to sharing your progress, and cheering from the sidelines!  :thumbsup:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

LeilaMay

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2021, 16:46:50 PM »
I've never actually knitted with added beads - so how do you 'place' the beads into the knitting? I'd always assumed you needed to thread them all onto the working yarn first? but presumably not.
Wishing you a wonderful day when if finally comes round  :)
 :toast: :toast:

charlotte

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2021, 17:31:35 PM »
I've never actually knitted with added beads - so how do you 'place' the beads into the knitting? I'd always assumed you needed to thread them all onto the working yarn first? but presumably not.
Wishing you a wonderful day when if finally comes round  :)
 :toast: :toast:
So you *can* do that, but it is a proper pain! I use a teeny tiny crochet hook. (Seriously tiny. Mine is something like 0.4mm.) You work to where the bead goes, thread the bead onto the hook, then hook the stitch and slide the bead on on, then when you work that stitch the bead sort of sits below the new stitch. You can do something similar with a beading needle, but I find a crochet hook easier.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2021, 17:42:06 PM »
@charlotte Thanks for the explanation, I couldn't imagine doing it without the threading.  The patterns I knew were all on jumper wool, not the fine stuff.  It's going to look lovely.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

charlotte

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2021, 09:58:11 AM »
So I thought I would hold myself accountable and check back in here with some progress!

It is very tricky to photograph on the needles, but I am well over a quarter of the way through (possibly a third). If I do two rounds a week in this section, and one round a week in the next section (when I need to start increasing again), it will be finished in plenty of time to block in January! (Will be sending it to Mum and Dad's, where there is plenty of floorspace and no cat!)

Speaking of holding myself accountable, I see I said this:

Hahahahaha!
Underbodice is finished on my dress and I have a week booked off in May to do the skirt and the train.

I DO have next week off, and I AM going to do my wedding dress skirt, but I did not remember that I was also supposed to be doing the train.  :|

Acorn

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2021, 10:32:56 AM »
You can do it!   0_0   :thumbsup:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

charlotte

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2021, 10:02:19 AM »
More progress! I'm a bit behind on the targets I set myself, so I need to do twelve rounds before the end of next week to catch up. I only managed two thirds of one at Zoom knit night/during Sewing Bee last night, but it was the most complicated pattern round and I was talking/watching rather than concentrating, so hopefully I can go a bit faster if I put my mind to it.