The Sewing Place

Tangled!

Bill

Tangled!
« on: January 19, 2021, 11:41:05 AM »
No not the Disney film, my twin needles.
When I come to go around a tight corner, I lift the presser foot, turn the material and then lower the foot. By the 3rd or so corner the thread has twisted itself and gets caught in the bobbin case. By the time I've freed it up, my lovely twin stitch has gone pear shaped and it's soul destroying.
Is this something I have to get used to or do you lovely ladies and gentlemen have the answer?
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

b15erk

Re: Tangled!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 11:43:29 AM »
Not something that has happened to me @Wayfarer .  If I get chance later, I'll test it out.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 11:46:04 AM »
Are the needles up or down when you pivot?  They need to be up, but only just, and be careful not to move the fabric any distance, only rotate it.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Bill

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 11:57:41 AM »
It's up @BrendaP

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2021, 13:38:12 PM »
In that case just be careful not to pull on the fabric as you rotate it as that will lengthen the thread between where it comes up from the bobbin and where it meets the needle.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2021, 07:20:49 AM »
I can envisage how the thread must be twisting if you are going round multiple corners (presumably a square or rectangle) because you will be rotating the fabric in the same direction each time.  I think I would would do one corner then when I get to the second one, finish,  cut the thread and start again.  You would then be able to turn again on the 3rd corner and return to the start.
Life's too short for ironing.

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2021, 10:00:33 AM »
Why would four corners be any different to sewing around a circle?  From the original description of the problem it sounds as though that wouldn't pose difficulties.

Ploshkin

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2021, 11:57:12 AM »
Sewing round a circle would be a continuous line without lifting the foot.  If my interpretation is correct, turning a corner involves lifting the foot with needles up and rotating the fabric which would twist the upper and lower threads - not enough to cause an issue first time but each time the fabric is rotated for a corner thevthreads woukd twist a bit more.  (Maybe my imagination is overactive but that is how I picture it)
Life's too short for ironing.

Bill

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2021, 14:25:09 PM »
Houston we have a problem!
I've done this a few times now, each time being increasingly careful and this latest attempt was done trying to go around the corner with the feed dogs dropped to ease movement. The left hand needle is grabbing string from somewhere, the bobbin I think and pulling it up.
Maybe the timing is off?
Thanks for the suggestions so far, sadly none have helped,though I did get one really nice corner done using @Morgan s method.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Edit: nope, not the bobbin thread. I've just removed it.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 14:39:21 PM by Wayfarer »

Bill

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2021, 19:20:04 PM »
Figured it out.
I swapped over to my old Singer. It jammed up again. So I put my foot down and ran it at full speed (I was rather annoyed at this point) and after a few stitches the thing made a racket and then the needle snapped into 4 pieces...

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

The middle section flew off, hit me in the face and is currently hiding from me somewhere in the kitchen. That needle was delivered yesterday. Not impressed.  ><

A similar sized bargain basement twin needle finished the job with no drama. No tangled threads despite doing my best to do just that.
That's the 3rd Schmetz needle to snap on me. I thought they were supposed to be good?  :laughing:

b15erk

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2021, 19:58:55 PM »
That's not good @Wayfarer , it's a decent brand too.

Try complaining...

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Morgan

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2021, 16:33:10 PM »
@Wayfarer   another couple of tips for when you cannot resist conquering the twin needle twisting top threads issue -

1.  Threading the machine - Make sure that one thread comes off the reel clockwise and the other anti-clockwise.
2.  Tension Unit - If your machine has a separator in between the outer discs that clamp together, make sure the threads are laid either side of the separator in the tension unit.  (If yours doesn't have a separator, pass both threads through the tension unit at the same time so they seat at the same level. )
3.  Quite important - if the threading guide at the needle clamp has two sides, use the left for the left needle and the other side for the right needle.  If you have only one side to the guide, then pass the left needle thread through the guide and skip that guide for the right hand needle thread. 

Hope something works for you.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 16:35:00 PM by Morgan »

Bill

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2021, 12:45:50 PM »
@Wayfarer   If you have only one side to the guide, then pass the left needle thread through the guide and skip that guide for the right hand needle thread. 

Hope something works for you.

Wouldn't that put undue stress on the right needle?

Morgan

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2021, 19:45:25 PM »

Wouldn't that put undue stress on the right needle?
@Wayfarer  - no, it's the left needle (or a single needle) that needs the thread to pass through the guide above the needle.  It's okay to skip the last thread guide on the needle clamp for the right hand twin needle unless there is a guide on both the left and right)
In fact on page 63 of the manual for my Janome 15000 it's an instruction and there's a diagram too.