The Sewing Place

Golden Threads Quilting Paper

Pearl

Golden Threads Quilting Paper
« on: January 21, 2021, 10:00:39 AM »
I wondered if anyone has used this product and if you would recommend it.  I watched a lady using it to make templates for quilting designs.

Here

Acorn

Re: Golden Threads Quilting Paper
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 10:12:19 AM »
Ooh - that looks good.  I wonder how it differs from greaseproof paper.   :thinking:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Kad

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 11:25:05 AM »
I had a roll years ago when I first entered the murky world of p&q, it was ok but by the time that it ran out I'd become less easily led into the realms of specific (expensive) kit and have since always used ordinary supermarket baking parchment paper.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 17:28:25 PM »
showing my ignorance but isn't this just the same as freezer paper?
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Pearl

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 18:19:59 PM »
I'm not sure, @sewmuchmore .  I would never be able to stack 14 layers of freezer paper and not have them slip as I stitched through them. 

So glad it's not something else I need.   :laughing:

Lilian

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 19:26:42 PM »
Freezer paper has a waxy side that would make it slippy.  Maybe this paper has a rough side so as to grip the fabric better  :thinking:
Willing but not always able :)

Deafoldbat

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 19:34:48 PM »
I've used this method with tracing paper and tissue paper, though I don't stack it 14 deep - about 8 sheets is enough.
I trace the design with a pencil or washable pen (Pentel Handwriting) and have never noticed any transfer from that via the thread, but all my quilts get washed when they're finished so it wouldn't be a problem.

The tracing paper was about £4.99 for 40 A4 sheets. The plain white tissue paper was 99p for 10 very large sheets.

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2021, 13:18:54 PM »
freezer paper's waxy side adheres to fabric with heat ... tho its easily removed and can be used again ... But its not transparent so probably not so good for placing over blocks ??? Its good for cutting templates, sticking to blocks and stitching round ...
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

RJR_38

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2021, 19:05:04 PM »
It looks to be a combination of freezer paper with its 'adhesive' qualities and tracing paper for its transparency- I can see why it would be useful for quilting more complex blocks.