The Sewing Place

Fabric habits

Lowena

Re: Fabric habits
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2021, 19:39:23 PM »
No problem @b15erk  the darkside isn't exclusive.
I posted it on The Dark Side ( it says where it's posted at the too of the page of replies ) because that's all I do and I didn't want to hijack space from the garment threads which are far more numerous.
Perhaps you'll become a more frequent visitor @b15erk ......We have biscuits  :devil:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2021, 22:00:00 PM »
I wash almost all fabric when it comes in the house. Some of mine comes from dubious sources, such as friends sewing rooms. One piece was covered in cat fur, folded to the inside. I discovered that when my displeased cat started peeing on it. ><

I clip the corner off the fabric before washing, it reduces fraying and tells me if it's been treated. Exceptions to washing are precuts and the rare occasion when I purchase all the fabrics for a quilt from a single line. They'll all shrink at the same rate. I can seldom afford to buy that way.

I usually press to one side, the Dark Side, open when warranted. Garments I typically construct on the overlocker so pressed to one side.

Huge fan of Best Press! I always press fabric before cutting it, usually with a spritz of BP. Ladies use it when you garment sew. It makes all fabric behave a little bit better.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Acorn

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2021, 22:09:02 PM »
I've never used Best Press, but I do have a recipe for Vodka and Lavender Starch, which I intend to try out any day now.  That way I can always take a swig of it if things go wrong.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

RJR_38

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2021, 22:13:59 PM »
I never prewash or starch. In terms of pressing seams- it really depends what I am doing. I tend to press open if I am doing FPP but my stitch length is shorter anyway. Otherwise I usually press to the dark side.

mudcat

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2021, 10:28:05 AM »
My quilting cotton stash has pre-washed and non pre-washed.  In the past I usually pre-washed yardage but not fat quarters or charm packs because that causes a mess.  For garment fabric, I pre-wash wovens but not knits because it curls the selvedge too much.  Since I gentle wash in warm water and line dry the majority of my clothes I don't encounter much shrinkage.

Sara-S

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2021, 21:17:11 PM »
I rarely pre-wash pre-cut pieces, but fat quarters or larger pieces usually do get pre-washed for shrinkage and color run.  I generally press seams to one side.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.