The Sewing Place

Sewing Bee Sleeveless Shell Top

K.H.

Sewing Bee Sleeveless Shell Top
« on: January 19, 2021, 16:40:07 PM »
Well, I was going to start my next project, the Vogue V8888 nightwear pattern, but I think that might be still a bit above my skill level at the moment. Instead, I am planning on making this:

https://www.sewmag.co.uk/free-sewing-patterns/sewing-bee-sleevless-shell-top

I want to use this project to improve my skills, do things I haven't done yet, like understitching and french seams and pattern alterations.

I'll come back later when it's done! Wish me luck!
Still learning!
My machine list: Toyota SPA34 and Janome Finesse 234 overlocker.

dolcevita

Re: Sewing Bee Sleeveless Shell Top
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 16:45:19 PM »
That's a nice project and ideal for building up your skills. See you on the other side!

Lachica

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 16:46:42 PM »
@K.H. check the bust measurements, I found this pattern a bit tight.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

maliw

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 17:00:45 PM »
I've made a few these, I adjusted the pattern - FBA and made my own master copy.
An easy pattern to wear and one I go to if I fancy a new top for arm weather - what's that I hear you say
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2021, 17:05:21 PM »
I made it once but made the mistake of cutting it on the bias!  The two armholes of course didn't match and it ended up in the bin.  :'(

However, with a suitable fabric, cut properly it is a good choice for learning several techniques,
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 23:07:21 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

nototie

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 17:41:03 PM »
Good luck! What type of fabric are you going to use?

K.H.

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2021, 18:09:40 PM »
Thanks @Lachica and @maliw I'll bare that in mind. It's not for me and the intended recipient is quite a bit larger in that area than me! She won't mind me saying that!  ;)

The material she has chosen is a cute fox patterned pollycotton.

Fox print
Still learning!

Lachica

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2021, 18:33:59 PM »
@K.H. sounds like you'll be learning to do an FBA too! I'm not very big in the chest department.......
Mary

K.H.

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2021, 19:07:44 PM »
Well, I ran up the first toile yesterday and as expected it was a terrible fit. Gaping neck, gaping armholes and way too tight across the bust.

So today I am doing my first FBA! Quite easy really once I got my head around what I was actually doing.

Tomorrow afternoon after work I'll run up toile number 2 and hope it works better.
Still learning!

Lachica

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2021, 19:16:14 PM »
Good on you! I haven't had much success with Sewing Bee patterns.
Mary

sewmuchmore

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2021, 17:58:56 PM »
Don't forget you will need to alter the facing as well.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

K.H.

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2021, 18:15:25 PM »
Don't forget you will need to alter the facing as well.

Thanks, I'd thought of that but I thought I'd run up the toile without it to try the fit, then deal with the facing if the pattern works. Fingers crossed!
Still learning!

K.H.

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2021, 19:56:38 PM »
Well, toile number 2 sewn and tried for size. Unfortunately, still not fitting properly. The gaping neck and arm holes have gone which is good, and the general fit is better but it is still too tight over the bust. I have noticed that the new darts do not point to the fullest part of the bust so my first thought is to unpick the darts and re aim them. Maybe this will help with the fit? Not sure. I may still have to add in a bit more yet.

Any thoughts anyone? All help gratefully received!
Still learning!

coffeeandcake

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2021, 20:45:03 PM »
You'll need to find the bust apex of the recipient, draw a box around the dart and move it accordingly. I've made a few iterations of this top as a way of trying out different techniques. As I have to do quite a large FBA I really had to play around with my first one because I found the fit to be pretty awful.

datcat23

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2021, 22:33:20 PM »
Consider the shape of the wearer too ......

If all of her bust shape is at the front, then a regular dart will do fine.  If however, she has a proper set of melons, meaning they are rounded out the sides, then you may need a curved dart to help the top turn around them. 
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m