The Sewing Place

Scant Seams

Acorn

Scant Seams
« on: January 19, 2021, 17:09:32 PM »
I know that the way to make a 1/4 inch scant seam is to use a 1/4 inch foot and move the needle one step to the right.  However, on my Megaquilter - which I much prefer to use for piecing - the needle doesn't move.

Is there a secret for doing scant seams when you can't move your needle?  And why don't they just make 'scant 1/4 inch' feet???   :boohoo:

Am I going to have to use my Husqvarna just because I can move its needle?  I have just given in and ordered it a 1/4 inch foot with a guide (its current 1/4 inch foot doesn't have one), so I suppose I'm probably resigned to it.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

Re: Scant Seams
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 17:19:35 PM »
I think theres a fortune waiting to be made there!

You know how much Quilters like their gizmos ... Hand the idea over to your OH and you'll be millionaires by Christmas @Acorn
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 17:26:28 PM »
I was just explaining the problem to him, and he mumbled something about putting something on the inside of the edge guide to make it thicker.  If I could think what to use I would give it a go.

Kenora

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 17:29:24 PM »
For the tiniest difference that is a "scant" 1/4" I would think a small piece of masking tape would work - or even two tiny pieces of Scotch tape, if you have any. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2021, 17:31:16 PM »
Ooh - insulating tape maybe - I have plenty of that.

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 19:01:20 PM »
I have the same problem @Acorn  I get over it by not doing a scant seam :|
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Deafoldbat

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2021, 19:01:47 PM »
@Acorn
Reading a book yesterday - looking for inspiration (still lacking), I read the 'instructions' section  :scream: and came across this:

'Get a book that has templates printed in it and trace one off - it should have the outline of the piece and the sewing line marked. Cut out your tracing just inside the outline. Lay it on the original drawing the check the outside edge fits along the outline in the book, and the seam line matches. Take your tracing to your machine and set it under the foot and drop the needle on the sewing line, making sure it is straight. Take a piece of insulating tape and stick it along the edge of the template and use that as the seam guide.'

If the tape will interfere with the feed dogs, or bobbin load, try putting a ruler under the needle and lower the needle by hand so that it just touches the ¼-inch line, make sure the ruler is straight and use a fine pencil to draw a line ¼ inch to the right on the body of the machine leading up to the stitch plate and put tape along that.

You can also use a wad of masking tape - use a craft knife to cut a section though several layers and peel the piece out. Being higher it gives you something to set against.

'Scant' is a matter of a thread or two on each bit - they all add up (how do I know this?).

Sara-S

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2021, 21:14:08 PM »
Thanks to this thread, I now know how to do a scant 1/4”.  What I don’t know is why you do it, as opposed to a full 1/4”. Can someone please explain it?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 01:17:59 AM by Sara-S »
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Ploshkin

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2021, 22:22:05 PM »
If you sew a seam at exactly 1/4" @Sara-S  when you press and open out the fabric the fold will take up a little bit more of the fabric (turn of cloth) so if you join 2 pieces of 2" the resulting piece will be a little bit less than 3 1/2".  Using a scant  1/4"seam allows for the fold and the joined piece should end up the required size.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 22:24:20 PM by Ploshkin »
Life's too short for ironing.

Sara-S

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2021, 22:29:30 PM »
Thanks for the clarification @Ploshkin
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Catllar

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2021, 11:34:36 AM »
As my old lady doesn't have a quarter inch foot or anything like that I stuck a few layers of that matt finish sticky tape onto the plate,  I was finding it hard to maintain any sort of equal spacing before.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Efemera

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2021, 12:26:49 PM »
It doesn’t much matter as long as all your seams are consistent.