The Sewing Place

Inauguration coats

Sewingsue

Re: Inauguration coats
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2021, 15:30:52 PM »
One long standing theory for men's coats buttoning left over right is that it gave them easy access to a sword or pistol.  Bit of a bummer if you were left handed.  Ladies, of course, weren't armed.
Makes sense. I have seen officers on parades with the left side of their greatcoats hooked back behind the scabbard of their sword.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Iminei

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2021, 17:55:42 PM »
I think the paparazzi would find my stylings the height of sartorial elegance ...
and here comes Iminei down  the stairs and yes, shes favouring the summery white with red and black polka dot PJ bottoms for todays opening ceremony of the dishwasher ......   :laughing:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

charley

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2021, 18:36:16 PM »
I thought that these fine men and women looked wonderful, and I shed a tear or two throughout the day, especially listening to Amanda Gorman, who also looked gorgeous. Mrs Obama was stunning, like the song 'Flawless'.

datcat23

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2021, 21:59:08 PM »
thank you @StitchinTime  ..... I couldn't look at the article, because its a subscription only page, but it helped me narrow the search. 

I have a set of embroidery files that would be perfect for this style of coat. 
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  6m | Items made:  2  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

mudcat

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2021, 22:00:17 PM »
I rather liked Michelle O's red coat but not her outfit.  Too much red.  Newsweek is confused.  They called her outfit purple.   :thinking: 

That article regarding Dr Biden's dress said it had flowers from every state.  We all have a state flower in the US in case that isn't common knowledge  I don't know how that was managed because it doesn't look like there's enough space for all of them.   

50 state flowers

I might be in the minority but I didn't mind Melania T's dress.  Looked quite comfortable.

datcat23

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2021, 22:09:45 PM »
@mudcat  ... we have state flowers in Australia, so I assume its a fairly common thing. 

I would assume Michelle Obama's ensemble would have been purple, as in the burgundy end of the purple spectrum.  I think the media's focus on the colour, was an attempt tag some symbolism to the clothing.  I liked her outfit, to me it was a nod to the 70's pantsuit style. 
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  6m | Items made:  2  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

mudcat

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2021, 22:14:22 PM »
I guess I consider burgundy to be a red not a purple ... but what do I know?  I can't tell you how many people will refer to fuchsia as purple when in fact fuchsia is in the pink family.

@datcat23 what are those red flowers in the bottom left?  Those are cool.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2021, 23:46:15 PM »
I liked those flowers too and I looked them up.  It is called Sturt's desert pea.  Emblibrary has files for them and all those state flowers.  What can I use them on I wonder?
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

BrendaP

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2021, 23:53:07 PM »
What is usually referred to as fuschia is very close to magenta - as in printer inks etc - which is actually pigment/subtractive primary red along with cyan and yellow, and the secondary pigment colours are blue green and red.

http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/quilts/colour/colour_theory.htm

When you get to the in-between colours it is very subjective.  I would say that Michelle Obama's coat was a darkened shade of Magenta, maybe leaning a little towards blue, but in lay terms anything between red and blue is "purple".  But when does red stop and purple start? or blue stop and purple start?

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

UttaRetch

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2021, 07:57:52 AM »
..... I couldn't look at the article, because its a subscription only page, but it helped me narrow the search.

Kudos to you.  I spent ages looking for the coat, but only found partial images.

Sewbusy

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2021, 08:46:32 AM »

Iminei

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2021, 08:57:39 AM »

Thats beautiful!

Acorn

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2021, 09:03:49 AM »
It is really lovely.

The UK has a flower for each county, too.  Ours is bog rosemary, which, given the state of our fields at the moment, makes complete sense.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Silver Rose

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2021, 09:17:26 AM »
Thanks for the link @Acorn , Suffolk's flower is the oxlip which are very rare.
Still learning

Iminei

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2021, 09:30:15 AM »
This is DDD's ....