The Sewing Place

Inauguration coats

BrendaP

Re: Inauguration coats
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2021, 10:37:00 AM »
Kent has hops!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]     [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

b15erk

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2021, 11:03:19 AM »
Absolutely, love that white coat!  I have to say the ceremony was understated, but no less beautiful for that.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Elnnina

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2021, 11:30:07 AM »
I loved the various styles and fit of the ladies coats also the colours. 

As for the beautiful white coat with the various State's flowers, a few years ago I sent a Jacquie Lawson card to my cousin in Minnesota, at the end of the card was a link to a puzzle in which you have to insert the right shape of the State into the right place on the USA map.  Once completed it then showed the various flowers for each State, and my cousin did not know about the various flowers for each State. Well imagine my surprise a year or so later when I received a surprise package from this cousin - totally out of the blue, and it was a jigsaw of America's State flowers in postage stamp form - needless to say I stopped what I was doing at the time and did the jigsaw.  I thought this was a lovely way that Mrs. Biden had of embracing the whole of the USA - a new Presidency and a new team in office.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2021, 11:48:49 AM »
I thought Jill Biden's outfit was lovely.  And a matching mask!   :thumbsup:

UttaRetch

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2021, 13:49:06 PM »
The UK has a flower for each county, too.

Rosebay willowherb, the London county flower.  Known in the US as fireweed and in Canada as great willowherb.

Greybird

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2021, 13:51:59 PM »
I think the Willowherb is also called Fireweed because it springs up after the seeds have been burnt in a fire. Maybe London blossomed with it after the Great Fire of London?

UttaRetch

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2021, 13:56:28 PM »
It such a pretty flower, but I am hopeless and can only recognise the most common flowers and plants.

BriarRose

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2021, 03:41:59 AM »
I am so entertained by all you lovely Brits eying American politicos and politicas fashion while we're sitting on this side of the Atlantic wondering what color The Queen will wear next.
It's just fabric. We can out-think it.

UttaRetch

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2021, 07:51:03 AM »
Her Majesty always wears something bright so that she is easy to spot.

Iminei

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2021, 08:34:51 AM »
And she colour blocks ... one colour, head to toe so she stands out in a crowd ... Shes only 5 ft nothing I believe.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Flobear

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2021, 08:45:05 AM »
It is really lovely.

The UK has a flower for each county, too.  Ours is bog rosemary, which, given the state of our fields at the moment, makes complete sense.

:faints:  Who knew? And who decided?

I must look them up.

Dorset Heath, pictured previously by Imi. It may look small and unassuming but Dorset's lowland heath habitat is extremely rare and precious.

Gloucestershire, where I will be living in a month or so, has the wild daffodil. I love simple daffs.

Apparently the flowers were allocated by 'Plantlife' in 2002. Perhaps we should make more of them.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 08:50:49 AM by Flobear »
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Ploshkin

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2021, 09:04:12 AM »
RBWH is also known as bombweed because it colonised the bombsites after the blitz.  It's actually the flower that is the mainstay of my annual honey crop.

Who on earth picked Whorled Caraway for Carmarthenshire  :S. when we have so many beautiful wild flowers here.
Life's too short for ironing.

So Chic

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2021, 11:26:50 AM »
In today's paper there's a photo of Anna Wintour wearing the same kaftan as Melania Trump
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

UttaRetch

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2021, 15:04:36 PM »

It's by Gucci and she doesn't look any better than Mrs Trump.

Tamnymore

« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2021, 17:58:07 PM »
Had to laugh. She doesn't look very happy, does she?
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde