The Sewing Place

Wedding dress alterations

justpottering

Wedding dress alterations
« on: May 24, 2017, 20:12:48 PM »
Hi everyone
I'm not sure why I keep saying yes, but altering a wedding dress seems to come my way quite often - and although I sometimes think 'Oh for goodness sake! I'd rather make one from scratch than alter someone else's' I usually find I quite enjoy it, perhaps that's because it means so much to the bride? who are usually so happy about how different it feels when it fits better/is the right length and so on.
The latest one is here:  https://www.wed2b.co.uk/arlington
It is a beautiful dress, looks amazing on the lady in question and her chosen shoes are to die for.
The back needs attention, it fits well in the front, but she has a narrow back so it gapes she also needs way of support for the bust because of the open back she cannot wear an ordinary bra.
She brought to the fitting a longline bra which fastened just above the waist, it still shows, but I undid it and pinned it to the edge of the bottom back that meets the skirt and it worked in that she felt the support to the boobies was enough, and it slightly pulled the bottom back in and felt better on the waist. I had her moving about and it seemed to do the trick, so I will secure it and get her back for a fitting. I need to do something about the top back section yet.
I also got her to try on a tiered petticoat that I use on my dress form when making 50's style dresses to see the effect and the dress was transformed and she loved it.
It really is one of my favourite dresses so far, and not much work required, or at least not one that you have to take apart several layers, nor does it need hemming  - result! I'll let you know how I get on.
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

BrendaP

Re: Wedding dress alterations
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 21:09:59 PM »
Oooooh!  That looks lovely :flower:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 21:28:04 PM »
Beautiful dress. You are very brave doing these alterations JP- I'd run a mile!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lilian

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 21:47:40 PM »
Beautiful dress!  I love the short ones nowadays.  Brave you for taking on the task, though I know what you mean when you alter for someone one else an important dress.  I have done one or two in my time.  Makes you very happy  :)
Willing but not always able :)

Sandra

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 08:16:17 AM »
That's really pretty...very 1950's.

Sandra.
xxx

Catllar

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 22:16:11 PM »
That's interesting - look forward to hearing how you get on with that!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

justpottering

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 21:31:55 PM »
I have done the alteration, waiting now for next fitting to see if it works, it works on my dress form. If all is well I will secure with a second row of stitching - thought I would just do one to see if it does the job for now. I handstitched it as I didn't want to get that lace under the machine, plus it would be harder to unpick if not correct. Bride to be coming next Monday for a fitting, if it works I will post a picture - of course I should have taken a picture before too - doh!
JP

justpottering

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 11:04:02 AM »
Well one happy bride to be has just left the building :)
It doesn't matter how many times I do this, I am always anxious when the bride returns, and this one was particularly easy by compariason so I was convinced it would be wrong!

She said the loveliest thing though, 'before it was a pretty dress, now it feels like MY dess' she was twirling and just enjoying the dress now that she felt it fitted her and she was so much more comfortable in it,  moments like this is why I do it  :)
Now onto more mundane sewing for the rest of the day - bags/covers for some new camping equipment - not in the same league but necessary all the same.
JP