The Sewing Place

Thelma Boiler suit Merchant and Mills

charley

Thelma Boiler suit Merchant and Mills
« on: January 21, 2021, 18:47:21 PM »
I made a Thelma boiler suit for my daughter. It took me a day to trace and cut the pattern, a day to cut and mark the fabric, and a week to sew, including attaching the buttons. There are 23 ( I think) pattern pieces, but could be more, the pattern is upstairs now. I used Merchant and Mills fabric - daughter's choice - a sanded twill. I had not attempted anything so challenging before, and I was immensely pleased with the outcome. Distance sewing too, my daughter lives in Glasgow, so it was an anxious wait for the photo. I did not do any alterations to the pattern. The button and fly placket were the most difficult to compute in my head, and took most of a day to figure out. I'm glad that I did not rush any of it.
I'm not sure how to attach photos though, or if I have to pay subs first?

charley

Re: Thelma Boiler suit Merchant and Mills
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 19:55:32 PM »
Some photos of 'Thelma', hopefully I've done this correctly.

Tamnymore

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 20:14:02 PM »
Wow that's fantastic @charley . Looks great and fits really well. Not an easy pattern. Well done!  :thumbsup:
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 20:31:10 PM »
Amazing!  That's a tricky garment beautifully made!   :thumbsup:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

mudcat

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 20:46:07 PM »
That's great @charley.  I don't think I'd have the patience for it.  Your daughter is lucky and seems to be a more standard size in that it fits right out of the envelope. 

Barcoded

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 21:22:31 PM »
What a great make, thanks for sharing.

Is there a reason behind this pattern?
I think I have joined the 201 club

charley

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 22:04:50 PM »
What a great make, thanks for sharing.

Is there a reason behind this pattern?

My daughter asked if I could make her a 'boiler suit', she said she had been looking for one for ages, but could not find anything she liked RTW. I asked her to look at some patterns (after I researched some), and she choose the Thelma. I must admit that of all the patterns out there, this one was my least favourite to attempt. I did not want to say I could not do this, but daughters..... I said it could be a birthday present, so she chose the fabric too.
When the pattern arrived, and I saw all the pieces, buttons, placket, I must say I did feel the pressure. Emma lives in Glasgow, I live in Herefordshire, and I had taken her measurements early last year. I was planning to do a toile from a bed sheet (charity shop), but decided not to. Emma is tall, so I did not think any adjustments were needed; I had read various blogs from people who had shortened the body, and I think they regretted it.

The most difficult bit was the button placket - I had not done one before - but I just took my time to read, and re-read the instructions. The instructions are great, I fell in love with tailors tacks, and I loved how it turned out. The most difficult bit was waiting for the phone call to say it had arrived and that she loved it, I did cry a little. Emma is not a 'girly girl', loves functional clothing, her daughters (one girly, one not) and, short hair.
I will make another one.
Sorry for the long reply, but I am so proud of myself.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2021, 22:48:43 PM »
What a fantastic job you made of the boiler suit.  Well done.  What next? :)

Morzel

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2021, 17:32:18 PM »
The boiler suit is great! And the fabric looks nice - your daughter looks reall :thumbsup:y good in it!
Eva

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2021, 17:34:42 PM »
Goodness!
No wonder you're proud of yourself. It looks fantastic. 
I bet your daughter is really proud of you too.  :thumbsup:

charley

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2021, 21:14:33 PM »
Thank you all for your lovely comments.

Nevis5

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2021, 12:49:33 PM »
Add me to the admirers!  It's fantastic.  Oh to be young again!  I had a similar (green!) boiler suit back in the 1980's which I loved and wore to death.  Think I might be a bit old and muttony now ;) xx

jen

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2021, 19:33:42 PM »
Brilliant, great result!

annieeg

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2021, 23:03:28 PM »
I really like m+m patterns and their Top 64 is a particular favourite.

Lilian

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2021, 23:19:36 PM »
Wow @charley that is a superb job, well done!  :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)