The Sewing Place

Hello

Doglover

Hello
« on: January 22, 2021, 05:24:04 AM »
Hi, I have just joined. I was making my own clothes long before I got to an age to be eligible to learn at school. This caused me all sorts of problems, because I felt I knew a lot more than the teacher was teaching; she was starting from the bottom. Let's make a handkerchief sort of thing, when I was wearing a dress I had made myself. If there was a special thing coming up, I wouldn't think of buying a dress, I would go get material.

Anyway, two giant dogs and a bad back caused me to stop sewing some years ago. I now have an itch to begin again, but I would like to learn to quilt and I am also planning on buying a machine with lots of embroidery stitches on. I've never done that so am interested in talking to experts on both those things.

My first love is and always will be dogs and I currently have a thirteen month old Golden Retriever.

Lachica

Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 08:10:03 AM »
Welcome @Doglover looking forward to seeing what you make. Have you decided on a machine yet?
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Pearl

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 08:12:52 AM »
Hi, @Doglover .  Welcome to TSP.   :drink: :cake:

I look forward to seeing your makes.  If you are interested in falling down the rabbit hole of quilting, head over to the Darkside where you will receive a warm welcome, including biscuits.

Lots of doglovers here too.  I have a ten year old border terrier. 

Silver Rose

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 08:19:18 AM »
Welcome to TSP @Doglover
Still learning

Doglover

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 08:20:58 AM »
Welcome @Doglover looking forward to seeing what you make. Have you decided on a machine yet?
No. To be honest, I'm waiting till I move house and have more room. In the summer. I managed to get a Thorn sewing cabinet for £50 and I can't wait to get it going. I've been looking on the internet at John Lewis machines but I won't buy one without trying it out. I was hoping for some recommendations.

Acorn

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2021, 09:00:27 AM »
I come from a family of golden retrievers, and love them.  I don't have one myself, but my parents always did until very recently.   :thumbsup:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Efemera

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2021, 09:01:48 AM »
Hello there...

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2021, 09:02:45 AM »
@Acorn ... I didnt know you were a Golden Retriever ??!!!  :faints: :laughing:

I've been looking on the internet at John Lewis machines but I won't buy one without trying it out. I was hoping for some recommendations.

@Doglover  ... we have a couple of page with peoples views and reviews of their machines ...

but if you can (ever) get to a localish dedicated Sewing Machine supplier .. Franklins are a good example ... Please do!
They have demonstrators, will offer servicing, advice etc ...

If you cant get to a retailer, Sewing Machines Direct (talk to Russel) offer very good service and prices IF you know what you want!

John Lewis cant and dont do any of that and most of their machines are other makes rebranded under the JL brand ...
a lot of them are very budget friendly but really not worth the money as arethe Lidl/Aldi offers ...

But this is really a post for the sewing machine thread. Sorry!  :|

Welcome!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 09:12:06 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2021, 09:16:17 AM »
Hello, good morning, and welcome.  You may notice from my avatar that I quite like dogs too.  Two standard poodles, one is 4 and t'other is 2 1/2 - but both still behave like they are about 6 months old.  :laughing:

Greybird

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2021, 10:28:05 AM »
Hello and welcome!

fajita

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2021, 10:54:06 AM »
Welcome @Doglover  :drink: :cake:

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2021, 10:56:12 AM »
Hi and welcome to TSP
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

b15erk

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2021, 11:06:35 AM »
A big welcome from me too!

Dogs and sewing - what's not to like?  :hug:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Kitten

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2021, 11:50:51 AM »
Welcome @Doglover from another dog lover (mine is a 15 year old black lab).
This is a great place to be.

Flobear

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2021, 12:13:37 PM »
Another dog-lover here @Doglover . Welcome. We look forward to seeing your progress in due course.

I joined TSP nearly 2 years ago to get help with my overlocker. I fell into the abyss that is known as The Dark Side (Patchwork and Quilting) having no intention whatsoever to do so! So Beware of Temptation  ;)

Please do post piccies of your lovely pooch on the Pets fred when you can.

https://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,7077.0/topicseen.html
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!