The Sewing Place

Binding a jersey V neck tutorial

sewingj

Binding a jersey V neck tutorial
« on: January 22, 2021, 15:56:18 PM »
I have just made my grandson the DIBY free T-shirt pattern which was good except that the round neckline was too tight to get over his head comfortably.  One solution seemed to be to make it into a v-neck so I took off the existing binding, cut the V and then followed this tutorial.  It was easy to follow and has turned out well.  I`d definitely use it again when altering necklines for myself

https://www.sewessential.co.uk/blog/sew-knit-jersey-v-neck/
Attempting to be a Tailor of Gloucester

Kenora

Re: Binding a jersey V neck tutorial
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 17:23:22 PM »
@sewingj - thanks for the link - it looks useful. Nice to see you posting again. <3
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 17:23:37 PM »
That’s a method I haven’t come across before @sewingj
Thanks for posting. 

SkoutSews

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 17:39:23 PM »
Thanks for the link, it's useful.

Catllar

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 14:36:20 PM »
I've used that method and have another tip to add ( hope I'm not teaching grandma to suck eggs) but after you've pinned your prepared binding onto the neckline then stitch about 2.5cms from the point  along the seam, use a longing stitch. Check to see if your band is centred and you're happy with it.  If so, then stitch the beast in place all the way round. If you're not happy it only means unpicking a couple of  inches.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2021, 15:00:31 PM »
As @Catllar re sucking eggs, I draw a line down from the V, in chalk or marking pen.  It saves on the guesswork of where to stop the V and sew up.

I've bookmarked that method, always good to have another V technique.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.