The Sewing Place

Aqua Glue Marker

Lemon Syllabub

Aqua Glue Marker
« on: January 22, 2021, 18:09:30 PM »
Aqua Glue Marker

I was planning to use it in lieu of pins on a shirt sleeve placket as I think I'm going to find trying to pin a placket accurately very fiddly :scream:.

I’m going to have a play with it on some scrap fabric tomorrow and wondered if anyone had any tips and tricks on using temporary glue. 

I’ve got visions of it clogging my needle or staining the fabric or some such disaster!  :rolleyes:

b15erk

Re: Aqua Glue Marker
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 18:12:54 PM »
@Lemon Syllabub , try clips instead.  You can either use plastic quilting clips, or, and I find these more useful, the silver hairclips you can get on a spring.

Very useful, easy to pull out, and no pinholes or pulling.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 18:16:46 PM »
Sorry, I should have put some pics up.

Jessie

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 19:44:11 PM »
I use Wondertape a lot, it's a wash-away double sided tape.  That glue looks interesting though, might have to try some.

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 21:19:36 PM »
I’ve tried most things over the years but I go back to tacking stuff... takes time but it’s much more accurate.

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2021, 11:25:29 AM »
Hi thanks for the advice.

@b15erk Clips! What a brilliant idea.

@Bodgeitandscarper Wondertape! Sounds like a 70's super hero. I definitely need some wondertape.

@Efemera. I have to admit you are probably right about tacking stitches...but they don't sound as much fun as sparkly clips, super hero Wondertape or even claggy glue!  :rolleyes:

The fabric I'm using for my shirt is 4oz dark denim.
I've had a little play with the glue. (Looks a little bit like Pritt stick glue but much firmer).
I have enough fabric to make some practice plackets. It seems like forever since I last sewed one so I definitely need to practice.  :scream:
I'll do one using glue and one using sensible tacking stitches!
Who knows I may end up using a combination of both for the actual plackets on my shirt?

Oh and yes, I'm on the lookout for clips and Wondertape to add to my sewing box!  :) 

Nevis5

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2021, 12:45:08 PM »
Eurgh I've just been wrestling with my last reel of Wondertape.  Impossible, and I mean, impossible to peel off the backing, it's stuck like iron.  I've given up and used Steam a Seam Lite which I don't like as much. I've never had this trouble before with it, it's usually my go-to for pockets and zips and the like.

I've got more Wondertape on order but it seems to be out of stock in the places I've tried.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2021, 14:18:14 PM »
@Nevis5 my wondertape has melted in that incredible hot spell we had sometime (forgotten when!)  My attic sewing room got really really hot and I think a lot of things might have suffered.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2021, 09:58:33 AM »
@Nevis5  Ive got a reel of that stuff, unused, if you cant find any??
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Puzzler

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2021, 10:59:23 AM »
I, too, am a tacker. I can sew over the tacking stiches and I'm able to remove them.

Silver Rose

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2021, 11:06:05 AM »
Another tacker here, I can check the garment for fit too if the tacking is done properly. Actually, I  pin and then tack, cautious, moi!?
Still learning

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2021, 16:48:52 PM »
I finally finished the plackets on the actual sleeves so now I can crack on with the rest of the shirt. Thanks again for your suggestions.

It's turning into a very slow sew. I keep thinking I'll just check out this online tutorial for whatever and end up falling down endless rabbit holes.  :rolleyes:

What can I say? Can I help it if I love watching youtube videos of cute cats & dogs?  :)