The Sewing Place

2021 BOM Mystery Quiltalongathon ... Introduction

Sandra

Re: 2021 BOM Mystery Quiltalongathon ... Introduction
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2021, 09:39:01 AM »
You also have a Pearl for June. Same as my Dad. I don't know what colours I'd use for that.

If you google hard enough, I found it also states Alexandrite or Light Amethyst. Might be an easier option to find fabrics for and then you'll be able to get some of the lovely amethyst purpley colours included.  :thumbsup:

Sandra.
xxx

Iminei

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2021, 10:11:32 AM »
I too thought of marrying the colours to the months they would be BOM's .... but dont get too hung up on it!

Pearl and Jade would be nigh on impossible to translate into a faceted gem, even diamond is difficult because of the myriad white/greys needed ...

and we ARE making traditional patchwork blocks so you cant add thousands of facets like some of those fantastic gemstone quilts that were shown at Festival or designed my MJ Kinnman

So dont worry about a bit of poetic license ... choose your favourite colours, what you can get enough shades of ... or already have in your stash ...

As you can see @Catllar  My background is a gorgeous Hand dyed Charcoal from Farne Fabrics that I actually did have in my stash!!!!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 11:31:59 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Bjay

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2021, 11:07:39 AM »
I was thinking choosing colours rather than sparkly facets. I saw some pearly sort of fabric yesterday but can't order yet
I will probably change Garnet to similar to Ruby for peridot as that also has a connection to the person

First I need my background fabric to arrive
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

BrendaP

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2021, 11:38:09 AM »
My thoughts are
Ruby - red
Saphire - royal blue
Emerald - green
Amathyst - purple
Aquamarine - cyan blue
Citrine (or yellow diamond) - lemon yellow

Together with cream to represent pearls, or if you can find a glittery cream fabric it could be opal.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2021, 11:41:51 AM »
AAAaaaggghhhhhh and thats my list!!!  :headbang:

fajita

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2021, 13:42:45 PM »
How hard would it be to halve the block sizes down to 6 inches?
. @Puzzler

Just a thought ...

You could always make yours 3 blocks by 3 blocks if the 5x5 will be too big for you?

Sandra

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2021, 09:07:16 AM »

These are the colours I think I might use. It's early days so there could be some changes.
Obviously, we don't yet know how many shades we need for each gem colour so I've grabbed anything out of my stash which looks suitable.

Sandra.
xxx

Iminei

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2021, 11:13:33 AM »
Loving the yellows, going lime with the Dark green as accents, reds look good too ...

I think the dark Blues need a bit of light injected into them maybe take a bit from the lighter blues and the purples look great. Im going to struggle with Sapphire as well, I have loads of gorgeous Darks but not so many lights!

Its all about lights and darks ... Maybe bring up some pics of real gems on your laptop and look at the kinds of colours involved ... you might be surprised... But if there is a flash of (for instance) dark green in a Citrine, or Violet in a Sapphire ... make sure you reserve that colour for the smallest units within the block!

But in the end its just about the sense of gemstones ...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 11:29:55 AM by Iminei »

Lowena

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2021, 11:23:54 AM »
I thought it was stars??? Is it stars or gems??? Am I losing the plot???
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2021, 11:28:02 AM »
Read the first post Low ....

or maybe the first Block ????

Lowena

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2021, 11:36:37 AM »
 :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Bjay

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2021, 12:31:51 PM »
My background abric has arrived. It is nothing like I thought and I really, really don't like it :scream:

Edit: I have now contacted Doughty's and they do have a  problem with the pictures on the tone on tone . I am sending the fabric back and we will come to an 'agreement' about another choice if I can find one  :'(
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 12:56:10 PM by Bjay »

Kenora

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2021, 13:54:52 PM »
Oh what a shame - that's the problem with having to order online. It's especially disappointing after you've waited expectantly for the package to arrive. Hope you can find something else you like. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Bjay

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2021, 16:21:57 PM »
Ordered new fabric, will have to post the wrong stuff back tomorrow as long as the weather is good.
eVery apologetic about the fact it wasn't the colour that appeared on the screen.
Now I've gone darker than I wanted but with a twist, can't send this new one back so it will have to do

Catllar

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2021, 17:36:37 PM »
SO I was happily sewing up my blocks  - tum ti tum - when I thought it'd be a good idea to run a ruler over them to see how much trimming would be needed -and in fact I was 1/4" off so have spent the afternoon unpicking and restitching. Sigh. Obviously my idea of scant is larger than usual!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !