The Sewing Place

2021 BOM Mystery Quiltalongathon ... Introduction

Iminei

Re: 2021 BOM Mystery Quiltalongathon ... Introduction
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2021, 05:54:26 AM »
Amended!

pologies @Lilian ... If anybody else has been missed please do let me know, Im not on here as much as I used to be!

By the way Girls, when you take your pics try and get a pic right over the top of your block (if on a table) or pin it to the wall/corkboard/wallhanging etc ... That way you can get a decent pic.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sandra

« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2021, 08:02:18 AM »
@Iminei  I've just been admiring everyone's work in the BOMHOF and have noticed that my Emerald block's missing.

Thanks  :)

Sandra.
xxx

Lilian

« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2021, 10:39:34 AM »
Thanks @Iminei  :angel:
Willing but not always able :)

Iminei

« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2021, 21:04:34 PM »
Done!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2021, 17:00:12 PM »
I am super behind, but maybe I could follow these next year, I love how they look in the beautiful gallery.
You are all so talented, what a lovely feast for the eyes.

Lowena

« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2021, 18:22:47 PM »
They look far too complicated for me  ( I need paper instructions in front of me ) but I enjoy looking at what has been produced.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2021, 21:15:32 PM »
The instructions in the photo gallery seem to make sense so the challenge would be whether I can actually follow them correctly to produce the blocks.
I think I could.
And it would be a good learning exercise for me to try a different sewing technique (away from my usual garment sewing).

Iminei

« Reply #82 on: August 29, 2021, 05:27:05 AM »
@SewRuthieSews

Try this First

Use gash fabrics (100 % cotton)  and dont expect to produce a beautiful block , youre just trying the techniques

Then This

and then this (the cheats way)

or if you want the Clever No Waste way

These can all be found Here in the Tutorial section

Elnnina

« Reply #83 on: August 29, 2021, 11:03:53 AM »
Wow imi, you seem to have covered lots of instructions that are so clear to understand, I do hope that SewRuthieSews  has a go - what a lovely challenge to do once she has settled into her new home - only three days to go!

Iminei

« Reply #84 on: September 02, 2021, 08:25:24 AM »
Yesterdays progress on the Mysteryquiltalongathon was slow and disorganised as I realised I was fast running out of Bg fabric for the sashing strips!  :scream:

I spent a lot of the day scrabbling around for odds and sods of this irreplaceable Farne fabrics Hand dyed Grey No.4 cotton.

I calculated I needed twenty-four 12" strips and had 18 at last count. I then found a small coil of strips so now ... I think ... I have just got enough.

Today Im going to be way more organised. I will be having another problem too I have saved 3" strips of the Bg fabric for the border but at 54" wide I dont think the four strips plus odds and sods will be enough  :facepalm: in fact I know they wont so some design flair might be needed ...

I can either halve the 3" strips after which I will have more than enough or ??????

I really did want a nice wide border.

Catllar

« Reply #85 on: September 06, 2021, 15:44:42 PM »
OK so I've finished all the blocks ( will put the final one in the gallery when I can find the mental strength and fortitude to struggle with the doodad) and I'm wondering what happens now? Do we fling them together in gay abandon or do we follow the amazingly detailed instructions from @Iminei for a construction?  :thinking:

I'm asking because I'm not a maths person but even I can see that 3 and 4 blocks don't make a regular 5 x 5 ( even thought they all add up to 25 blocks - see, not such a numpty)

If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Iminei

« Reply #86 on: September 06, 2021, 16:27:50 PM »
Im not going to make you a tutorial on putting this together, but I will show you the design for the quilt layout plus some commentary.

Its up to you to decide whether you want sashing or not; I wanted to give a couple of my gemstones a bit more space and just about got away with the ever decreasing Bg fabric (only one sash is pieced)

BUT Im going to have to cut my borders down as I have Four 3" strips of 52" long which will not make a border for a 64" sq Quilt! :rolleyes:  :facepalm:  Unless I play clever buggers, ideas of which are at the moment completely eluding me.

If you do choose to sash you could QAYG and use the sashing strips as joining strips

Lilian

« Reply #87 on: September 06, 2021, 21:35:55 PM »
@Iminei you posted previously that you had cut your sashing, what width did you cut.  Is it possible to stitch a strip onto two sides of each block so that when they go together it will act as sashing?

EDIT: two sides meaning top and left side.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 22:06:34 PM by Lilian »
Willing but not always able :)

Iminei

« Reply #88 on: September 07, 2021, 05:43:41 AM »
Sashing = width of block x width of desired space between blocks

I cut mine 12 1/2" (wob) x 1 1/2" ( for a 1" finished sash between blocks)

Is it possible to stitch a strip onto two sides of each block so that when they go together it will act as sashing?
IE: two sides meaning top and left side.

Which is exactly what we did when making @Sakar s new baby Christian's Quilt
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 05:51:12 AM by Iminei »

Bjay

« Reply #89 on: September 07, 2021, 09:18:12 AM »
I think I will have just enough Bg for the sashing
I do have something else for a border
I will finish blocks and then work out the pattern.
Trying to find my way on the Dark side