The Sewing Place

2021 BOM Mystery Quiltalongathon ... Introduction

Catllar

Re: 2021 BOM Mystery Quiltalongathon ... Introduction
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2021, 23:08:53 PM »
I am impressed by the knowledge of waddings, but @Lowena I don't understand 80/20? what's that? and piggies from polyester? This is some code that only advanced Darksiders know!!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Lilian

« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2021, 23:11:36 PM »
I wondered what @Lowena meant by 'piggies' i imagined it was pigs stitched to the quilt and the poly wadding is puffier than the cotton.  I think 80/20 is 80% cotton - 20% polyester  :)
Willing but not always able :)

Lowena

« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2021, 23:14:59 PM »
So sorry @Catllar and @Lilian ....it was autocorrect.....puffiness not piggies :| :D
Yes 80% cotton 20% polyester wadding is my favourite.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 23:57:03 PM by Lowena »
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Catllar

« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2021, 23:17:27 PM »
So sorry @Catllar and @Lilian ....it was autocorrect.....puffiness not piggies :| :D
Yes 80% cotton 20% polyester wedding is my favourite.

Ah I see, now it makes sense!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Lilian

« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2021, 23:46:46 PM »
haha  0_0 piggies are puffy and weddings can be waddies

Iminei

« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2021, 08:47:10 AM »
Ladies,

I have recently sent each of you a PM regarding The BOM Mysteryquiltalongathon.

It is very important that you read and respond to it by sending me an email to my private address, which is within the PM.

This is a 'just in case' precautionary action as I dont want anybody who has put so much effort into this BOM so far to be left out.

Thank you

Imi
xxx
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Bjay

« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2021, 13:01:01 PM »
Just finishing off Aunt J's quilt and I have realised just how big this will be :facepalm:
A. J's is 68ins by 60 ins.
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

Iminei

« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2021, 13:07:53 PM »
If you dont add any borders or sashing this will be 60" sq for the 5 x 5 grid ...you can of curse make it smaller ... or bigger!

Its up to you ... I find a 60" quilt is fine to quilt as one ...
but if you choose to add sashing you can always QAYG, using the sashing strips as joining strips and quilt it in 2, 3, 4 or 5 sections.

Iminei

« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2021, 11:24:27 AM »
Hi Peeps, well my blocks are complete and I have decided what to do as a backing ...

Im going to make ONE more of each block and use them in a pieced backing .... I'll make them only from the Tutorial instructions so hopefully will find any discrepancies.. I just hope I have enough fabrics left!!!

Im, as Ive said previously, sashing my blocks so will probably QAYG in two pieces ... I will post a short tutorial or (more likely) a post showing the finished article.

For those of you awaiting the final block, Block SIX , it will be released into the wildes of The Darkside on Saturday 28th August.

I hope you have been following and enjoying these tutorials and in September will finish a beautiful quilt! xxx

Iminei

« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2021, 10:34:51 AM »
How are we doing Folks ???

The last block will be released next Saturday ...

but here's a peak at what I, and hopefully you, have done so far!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Pearl

« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2021, 11:29:21 AM »
Wow, @Iminei .  Those jewels really sparkle!

Iminei

« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2021, 14:47:50 PM »
Thank you Darling, how are yours coming along ???

I have been sewing the columns together and am pleased .... not so pleased with The Splurgess however who seems to have developed a problem with the foot pedal ...  :facepalm:

I'm happily sewing along and suddenly it all stops ... Warning sign flashes up and the only way to continue is turning it off and on again, which means I then have to reset it to the 1/4" quilt stitch ... A giant PITA ... so after two columns I have packed away ... Looking good though.

Im sure its just a loose connection in the foot ... :thinking: ... but not sure whether Im brave enough to delve into that ... yet!

Still I gave her a really good clean this afternoon ... and Boy did she need it!  :scream:
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 14:49:44 PM by Iminei »

Lilian

« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2021, 20:45:07 PM »
They look wonderful @Iminei I have just one more block 5 to make.  I will try laying them out to see what they look like.  It's getting exciting and I am a bit nervous about getting them all together.  It will be the first time I have made anything as big as this. I already bought the backing and fabric for the binding, I need the wadding now but don't know what weight to get, I want this to fit my bed and be nice and cosy  :faints:

Bjay

« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2021, 15:52:12 PM »
@Lilian And I seem to be working at about the same speed.
I'd also thought of laying them out when have finished the last Emerald as now looking forward to finished product. Like @Lilian I have already bought backing fabric and 2 lots of sashing but not sure, which to use yet
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

Lilian

« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2021, 18:31:18 PM »
@Iminei I have just noticed my Block 4 (sapphire) is not in the gallery. I did it as amethyst.  :(