The Sewing Place

Problem with Ellie & Mac pdf

sewingj

Problem with Ellie & Mac pdf
« on: January 24, 2021, 12:37:07 PM »
I am going to make this
https://www.ellieandmac.com/products/kids-pocket-henley-top-pattern

It claims to be trimless and that every page should touch the corresponding page against a dotted line.   This is working where each side edge joins, but at the top of each sheet there is a blank space of about 1cm which I am going to have to trim off to allow it to join the sheet above in the right place.
I`ve read the instructions for printing several times and am pretty sure I have done  it correctly.

It`s not a huge problem as it is only a child`s top with not too many pieces but I`d be interested to know if I am doing something wrong or if there is a fault with the pattern itself

Acorn

Re: Problem with Ellie & Mac pdf
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 13:08:01 PM »
Some of my Ellie and mac patterns are trimless, but some do have an overlap, generally at the right and the bottom.  There are clear lines, though, to show where to overlap to - there's usually a choice on the layers tab so that you can remove the markings for whichever you don't want.  I wonder whether both are turned off on yours.

I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

sewingj

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 13:37:34 PM »
@Acorn  when I look at the pattern on my laptop the lines showing where to overlap are visible and the printing for each size goes right to the top of each page. But when I print it the size lines aren`t going right to the top of each sheet - it is leaving a clear margin.  Does that mean the issue is with my printer settings?  (Sorry, I`m not very computer savvy) 

Husband has just told me that our printer is unusual in that it prints sideways - I don`t know if that is relevent

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 13:45:34 PM »
It does sound like a printer issue - some printers do print with margins whatever you do to the settings, although it may be worth checking to see whether you can tell it not to use margins.  It is also possible (but probably not very likely) that it is printing letter size rather than A4.

Is your test square the right size - that's the most important thing!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lachica

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 16:20:06 PM »
Mine print with a slight overlap at the top & one side. Since I'm unable to print only one layer (Adobe on phone) it's easy to join because I have multiple lines so if they all look ok I've joined it correctly. I then trace off the size I want.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

sewingj

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 17:15:15 PM »
The test square is right.
The instructions are strange - they say that if you are printing A4 you should select "letter" - there is even a comment that this sounds odd but you should still do it!
I might play around and just print one page to see what happens.