The Sewing Place

Laptop wrist rest.

Sara-S

Laptop wrist rest.
« on: January 24, 2021, 21:23:33 PM »
Not sure where to post this; I hope this is oK.  As I think I've mentioned recently, I bought a new laptop last week- a MacBook Air.  I wanted a wrist rest for it but didn't see any that I liked; most were just way too big. Then I remembered that I'm me and could make one. It took 2 attempts but I got it right on the second try.

It's basically a long, skinny pillow. I made it too wide the first time. I also over filled it. So I unpicked, emptied out the little plastic beads (the kind you use to fill a Beanie Baby) and then cut an inch & a half off each  side. Re-sewed & filled it with much less and got something workable. I also used some 2-sided fusible interfacing to adhere a non-slip pad (made from shelf liner) to the bottom. My final measurements are 11.5" long X 4"wide. I filled it with about half a pound of plastic beads. The fabric is flannel.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Many on-line plans suggest filling with rice or beans. I really don't like using anything organic for this, as the potential for problems is foreseeable, should you get it wet.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 23:31:50 PM by Sara-S »
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Gernella

Re: Laptop wrist rest.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 13:03:48 PM »
I hope it works for you @Sara-S  my laptop cooler died over the weekend as the dingy broke into the USB.  They no longer sell the one I had, which was super comfortable on your knee.  New one came, looked like the old one but was more for a hard table.    Bought another off Amazon,  which had a 'comfortable Neoprene backing'.  Unfortunately not enough for me so I am going to have to do some thinking on what I could hook/tie onto the bottom to improve my comfort, either that or get used to it.

Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Sara-S

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 13:18:34 PM »
The fill I used was the little plastic beads they use to make some stuffed toys.  I got them at a local craft store.  They allow it to conform to my hands. I imagine you could do this on a larger scale to add a knee cushion under your lap desk.

Gernella

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 14:52:23 PM »
The fill I used was the little plastic beads they use to make some stuffed toys.  I got them at a local craft store.  They allow it to conform to my hands. I imagine you could do this on a larger scale to add a knee cushion under your lap desk.

I could @Sara-S  but I'm more than likely to buy all the stuff to do it and then never do it.  Other than on my knee, I can't wear it, can I?   ;)
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Sara-S

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 15:27:39 PM »
@Gernella I suppose it could make a very interesting padded bra.  :laughing:

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 15:42:47 PM »
I mostly use my laptop on my lap, so use my stomach as a wrist rest  :laughing: