The Sewing Place

Best sewing machine for bag making

Curious Gem

Best sewing machine for bag making
« on: January 24, 2021, 22:20:56 PM »
Hi all. What are your recommendations for machines for bag making? A friend is looking at a Necchi Q321a but the few comments on here seem to suggest Necchi isn't the best. She already has a Singer quilting machine. Thanks

Morgan

Re: Best sewing machine for bag making
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 23:32:06 PM »
There is a FB Group called British Bag Makers -A group for bag makers in the UK.  The membership is custom bag makers from professionals and designers to absolute beginners.
This question is asked quite often on that group -
the machines I see recommended there most often for bag making are

Janome HD9
Juki DX7
Jack H2 (with walking foot)

Also any industrial, set up for punching through layers

Those who use a vintage Singer (often a 201K) mention having the presser foot reset so that there is a deeper clearance

Most have another machine with decorative stitches for pretty stuff and other sewing.
Hope some of that helps.

BlueCat

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 10:11:30 AM »
I have a 201K which is a great workhorse for most of the sewing for bag making, but it did ‘miss’ a few stitches on the thickest parts (more than 5 or 6 layers) especially when topstitching.
I also have the Janome HD9, which fulfils everything I need it to do - I can sew from 12+ layers of vinyl down to 2 or 3 without it missing a stitch.
The HD9 is perfect for bag making, especially when you don’t have room for an industrial. It is only a straight stitcher, and is a bit noisier than the Singer. There is a Fb page for the HD9.

Gernella

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 10:28:17 AM »
When I bought my Husqvarna Mega Quilter, that had been used for fabric bag making.  First time I unscrewed the plate, I'd never seen that much fluff  packed down. So yes the Janome HD9 or similar if you can get a cheap industrial.  Leather might be a bit different even the shoe repair shop I went to refused to repair my leather handbag, said I needed one used for making horse saddlery.  He'd got an old Singer.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included