The Sewing Place

Chunky rowan/quali studios jumper

Syrinx

Chunky rowan/quali studios jumper
« on: January 25, 2021, 13:24:36 PM »
Got food poisoning a couple of weeks ago and decided if I couldn't do anything I might as well shove some tv on and knit a jumper I've been lusting after.

Rowan big wool in a lovely sage green and patter MIA from the Rowan chunky knits book (patterns by quail studios).

I am a decently good knitter, I'm just slow, so chunky patterns make me feel faster! I will take this moment to remind - very bad food poisoning - I couldn't even drink anything. This is important.

I read through the pattern first as I do, knitted my tension square, and cracked on very slowly and with great brain fog from lack of sleep and energy. Over the next day or so I knitted the back piece. I thought it was quite big, using wool up at an alarming rate, and figured there was an incorrect bit in pattern for the neck or I was too ll to understand properly, but just shrugged as I shaped the shoulders and cast off.

Went to cast on the front the next day and started knitting it up thinking how much faster this was going. Looked at it and thought it looked much narrower than the back. Checked the pattern size 2 - 47 cast on stitches. I counted. 47. Sudden horror as I pull up back and count stitches. 67. the biggest size. No wonder it took so long and used so much wool. Disheartened I decided to ignore it and finish the front. Moved onto one arm and made a mess of the increases over x rows because brain fog so stopped knitting and unravelled the back the next day and reknit it with 47 stitches. Reknit the back, knit the second arm (this time with correct increases - read the pattern properly!) and picked up all the neck stitches to knit my neckband in the round. I spent the evening mattress stitching it all together whilst watching tv and it looks lovely. I adore the neck and think I'll make another in a different colour, and when I don't have fod poisoning.

Ravelry generic pics here because I couldn't take good pics. Worth noting I htink that the model is wearing an oversized version having knit the size for myself, hence the lovely sloppy shoulders (mine are a little less sloppy as fit is better) so perhaps I'll make the next one a size up for the loose fit, but I do adore the neck collar)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 13:34:56 PM by Syrinx »

fajita

Re: Chunky rowan/quali studios jumper
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 13:33:31 PM »
Well done on completing it.

I couldn’t see the pic. It said URL. Blah blah blah.

@Syrinx

Syrinx

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 13:35:21 PM »
Should have fixed the link now!

fajita

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 13:37:06 PM »
Oh that does look nice and chunky. Definitely a Snowy Sunday Afternoon jumper.  :toast:

Pearl

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 14:16:23 PM »
Just what we need on a day like this.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 15:54:23 PM »
Gosh, that is a chunky chunky yarn!

Morgan

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2021, 11:43:08 AM »
Well done you for persevering. 

Syrinx

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2021, 16:35:59 PM »
Thanks guys. I think I would have cried and given up if not for the food poisoning and nothing else to do - it was 3 balls of wool I had to unravel.

I've been wearing it and I love it, it's comfy and warm, and the green is the perfect contrast for y hair so brings out all the red and copper which is nice.

I also really like the k/p design - unusual but very easy to knit with half a brain working.