The Sewing Place

Bobbin thread

sewmuchmore

Bobbin thread
« on: January 25, 2021, 17:10:19 PM »
I have always used Brother green top bobbin thread for the embroidery machine but seem to be getting through it at a rate of knots. Can anyone recommend anything else? preferably that comes in 5000m+ cones.
Amended, thread has to be 90 weight, a lot i have seen are 60 which is too heavy.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 17:22:25 PM by sewmuchmore »
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

So Chic

Re: Bobbin thread
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 21:20:31 PM »
I don’t know of any but have you tried Empress Mills as they seem to have a wide range of thread.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

fajita

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 21:36:49 PM »
I use the green spool stuff, or matching thread with top.

Will see what you come up with.

Morgan

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 10:48:44 AM »
I buy my (polyester) bobbin thread from Doris Darby at embroideredjust4u

I buy the 5000m cones (both white and black) and prefer to wind my own bobbins.  It's a fine smooth, lovely polyester HT 60s weight bobbin thread.
I know that lots of others buy the pre-wound bobbins in bulk.   Doris does both sizes - there is a chart here to check which size of prewound bobbin your machine uses if you want to try the pre-wounds.

For a spun polyester (matt) bobbin thread, I have cones of this from Empress Mills.  I tend to use this one when embroidering with Rayon 40s top thread (Madeira  Classic rayon), and also  use this spun polylight for both top and bobbin thread for matt finish FSL (and to test stitch FSL designs).

For most embroidery that I do, I use polyester embroidery threads (Simthread or Kingstar)  and I prefer the HT Poly bobbin thread from Doris above (or Empress Mills) for that.
I tend to buy it from Doris because I usually top up on Organ embrodiery needles, my go to stabiliser, polymesh cutaway and any Simthread colours I may be running low on.
I don't often replace the Simthreads as I mostly use Kingstar which I get from Somac along with their temporary adhesive and some other items.  You can also buy bobbin thread from Somac - they call it underthread.  (It's a spun polyester (matt) and it's okay, but I prefer the other 2 I mentioned above). 

Quick note. 
Some machines offer a different bobbin case for bobbin threads that does not have the same properties as the 'brand' used to calibrate the machine's bobbin case tension, eg. the red and yellow dot bobbin cases for some Janome machines.  On other machines, and just in general,  when you regularly use different types and brands of bobbin threads as I do, then it can be useful to buy a couple of spare bobbin cases and set the tension yourself (if needed) for each type of bobbin thread.   As my main embroidery machine is a combination machine, I keep a bobbin case for sewing, one for HT poly bobbin thread and one for the matt spun polyester.  It just makes life simpler and reduces the need to adjust the top tension.  (If needed I still adjust the top tension when working on very thin or thicker than usual fabrics but that's a different topic).

« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 11:12:35 AM by Morgan »